Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My roofer finally made some progress with the help of my men. As soon as my metal guy completes the counter flashing at the chimny I can finish it.

Now I have to find two nice finials to complete the tower section and the area where the ridge meets the conical roof. Anyone have any good links for this?

The mason had fun staging that area. Now he is waiting for the custom made radius brick for the face of the fireplaces. Looking forward to seeing that come together.

Window arrive from Kolbe & Kolbe on Monday. They are all made with laminated safety glass so they will weigh a ton. I will be glad to finally close this place in.

House Property Roof Home Siding
House Property Home Roof Siding
I think the gable and at the gambrel needs some dressing up with a shingle pattern. Don't you think?
House Home Property Roof Siding

Dave

·
Registered
108 Posts
Very nice! Work looks great, what do you plan for siding? :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Nice looking house. I like the radius lines. Is there a name for that kind of design?

·
Pro
506 Posts
excellent work. not too crazy about the way lady architect mish-moshed it with all sorts of junk that has no business going together.

i don't think a 4" fascia would have made it look any worse.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
That looks awesome. :thumbsup:

Mass ain't too far from Connecticut last I looked at a map. So here is my idea.

There is a guy that tinkers with his wood one state over by the name of Leo. He specializes in Gatling Guns of all things.

Wouldn't one of those look great in that upper turret?

I know, good idea huh? :clap:

You guys should hook up. He hangs around here quite a bit.

·
Super Moderator
10,709 Posts
Are those windows that go into the radius walls come with the curved sills and glass? We have had a few Kolbe units in the past that were made that way. It was a cool feature but the price was ridiculous.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Nice looking house. I like the radius lines. Is there a name for that kind of design?
I'm going to go out on an limb before it's finished and say Shingle Style. This is a very common look of the high end homes here in New England. Not really a Nantucket look.

http://www.essential-architecture.com/STYLE/STY-Shingle.htm

The siding usually is an unfinished white cedar or double dipped with Nantucket Gray.

A diamond pattern may look nice on the gable there.

Don't be so quick to criticize the design. It is a style that has been around a long time.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very nice! Work looks great, what do you plan for siding? :thumbup:
Framerman has it right. It will be white cedar siding. This architect specified dipped in bleaching oil but the HO wanted cabots clear solutions. clear solutions will not hold up as long but it will look great then new. It will start to look like natual siding in a few years or they will have to coat it again.

The windows and trim will be Hartford green (dark green) and looked great on the mockup I made for them to choose colors. Looking forward to seeing it come together.

Dave

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks great. Hey did the Azek wedges that we were dicussing work to stiffen the edge detail? or did you do something else?
I did fill the space with a solid wedge of Azek glued in place. It did stiffen the edge up nicely.

I also convinced the architect to skip the hanging gutter on that low pitch roof. We are now considering a diverter on the roof and some type of collection box in the valley. Have not really figured out the details yet.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are those windows that go into the radius walls come with the curved sills and glass? We have had a few Kolbe units in the past that were made that way. It was a cool feature but the price was ridiculous.
The windows are not curved in that sections. I will add to the trim so all trim will be curved inside and out but the glass is flat. I am not sure why they did not go for the curved glass. I was thinking it may have been an issue with the laminated safety glass. It may not be something they offer, both curved and laminated. Then again I am just guessing.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm going to go out on an limb before it's finished and say Shingle Style. This is a very common look of the high end homes here in New England. Not really a Nantucket look.

http://www.essential-architecture.com/STYLE/STY-Shingle.htm

The siding usually is an unfinished white cedar or double dipped with Nantucket Gray.

A diamond pattern may look nice on the gable there.

Don't be so quick to criticize the design. It is a style that has been around a long time.

This architect does love that style. Here are a few pics from the last house I did with her.
Home House Roof Property Real estate
Property Home House Building Roof
Property Architecture Building Arch House

1 - 20 of 94 Posts