Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for info pertaining to becoming a residential project manager as opposed to a gc, after over 30 years of being a carpenter/GC I want to minimize my liabiality, and put down the tools. Anyone familliar with books, seminars, disscussion groups pertaining to this facet of the buisness ?

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
Take a look at THIS.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If your looking at becoming an Professional Project Manager (PMP) the resources are endless.

You already have the work experience, now all you require is the education and you can write the exam.

Depending on your area most colleges/universities offer PM training courses. These courses provide you with an understanding of the PMBoK (Project Management Body of Knowledge) which you will most certainly require. Others offer PMP Exam training. These courses are strickly to aid you in passing your PMP Exam.

Most take the education (min. of 35 hours), than the exam prep prior to writing.

With your PMP licence you can work ANYWHERE in the world. It is globally recognized and respected.

I'm not going to tell you that the training or the exam is easy by any means, but it is worth it!

If this is indeed what you are looking let me know and I can put you in contact with organizations in your area.

I teach both courses in the Windsor to Waterloo area, but we have contracts with universities through out the world.

[email protected]

Good Luck

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
And some of those schools even offer spelling courses, too. :thumbup:

·
Registered
254 Posts
We call these people "construction consultants". I know one construction consultant who is a millionaire. They are paid a fee or a percentage to manage the project but the customer pays all the subs directly. Of course you know this. Since you are an experienced GC I would say you already posses the skills and ability to do this. In fact, having been a GC for so long, you may be over qualified. Here in L.A. many interior decorators are performing this work, subbing out parts of projects. Most of these women know nothing of construction, but they successfully manage these projects because the subs cooperate with one another. You are eminently qualified to act in this capacity.

·
Registered
15,527 Posts
Ive been interested in this myself. I know guys make a great living doing some just became PM's from an assistant position. At the same token it is very stressful and with that much responsibilty it seems like you mind as well be self employed.

·
Banned
306 Posts
Try: www.pmi.org Project Management Institute

Outside of dummy books :thumbup:... my favorite . I have Construction management Jump Start. by Barbara Jackson. Good overview of the basics.

Im wondering if you are referring to Project Management or Construction Management. Project Management would make up a small part of Construction Management IMO.

With your experience I'll assume your after Construction management.

Try: Construction management Assoc. of America www.cmaanet.org

Edit: sigh, old post.... ooops....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts