Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
Just wondering if there are any Project Managers/Coordinators here who use any sort of Project Management Software? If so, what software are you using and what are your thoughts on it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MS Project we have, I'm looking more so for software that ties together all aspects of managing construction projects 1,000,000+. I'm thinking of software such as SharePoint or Maestro, something customizable preferably.

·
Banned
306 Posts
Project?

I don't have project, but have thought of picking it up... From the few posts here, am I safe to assume that its not worth the learning curve?
Looks like the time it would take to get the information into the program, and maintain the info, would be better spent in actual job production... am I right? or should I check more into it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have project, but have thought of picking it up... From the few posts here, am I safe to assume that its not worth the learning curve?
Looks like the time it would take to get the information into the program, and maintain the info, would be better spent in actual job production... am I right? or should I check more into it?

MS Project is a really good scheduling tool and once you get used to how it operates it becomes very powerful management tool. Best thing about MS Project is that you can make your schedule as simple or as complex as you want, depending on the nature of the project.

However for large scale projects (10,000,000+) it isn’t enough to keep your project in check. For example in my current project I have 160 RFI’s, 155 shop drawings, 91 Change Orders and were only about half way into the 14 month project. It would be great to have a system that tied everything together.

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you are looking at just Project management there are several :

Open Project is quite good, runs on almost any kind of server, Has projects, tasks, schedule, Gnatt charts

T

·
Banned
38 Posts
I've been in the IT industry for about 10+ years and have been doing PM for the past 5. MS Project is the "industry standard" but it's a MS product so it has its boundaries and forces you to work within their rigid, waterfall approach to planning projects.

Regardless of industry, I would suggest looking into more light-weight, customizable solutions like Basecamp from 37 Signals, Rally Dev, @task, Thymer, LiquidPlanner or Genius Project. All have their bells and whistles.

If I can be of any help, give me a shout. I do this stuff for a living.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I learned Timberline in college, which was supposed to be the top of the line estimating and project management software. Personally I found it unrealistic to be able to apply it to a job, it didn't give you enough flexibility, you had to do it their way or no way, cost over $5,000 too. If you want to go beyond the scope of Microsoft Project or Primavera, then go custom as others have suggested. Find a company or someone to design you a program to do whatever it is you have in mind so it fits your company and your management style. Sometimes they can be done in Access or SQL, depending on what it is you want.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
(10,000,000+) it isn’t enough to keep your project in check. For example in my current project I have 160 RFI’s, 155 shop drawings, 91 Change Orders and were only about half way into the 14 month project. It would be great to have a system that tied everything together.[/FONT][/SIZE]
Find a computer company, someone who does databases or programing. I have an uncle who runs his own computer business, if you went up to him and explained it in those words what you wanted, he would set that up to work for you, and show you how to use it

·
Banned
306 Posts
I downloaded Openproject. Open source... free :clap:. Day or two afterwards, I saw that modterry, had recommended it.

Im mostly curious as to what can be done with project software. Openproject is a definite if you want to learn what its all about. I think for a guy like me, its all I need and more. Heh, if I even need it at all...

·
Web Dude
153 Posts
Kind of surprised Basecamp from 37Signals hasn't come up in the discussion, or ActiveCollab. I use and love ActiveCollab, and I've set it up for a couple of contractors.

They both work much in the same way forums do, but more robust. Time tracking, messaging, invoicing, file sharing, email support. Plus it helps to keep everybody on the same page.

Let's you define permissions so that you can grant access to clients who may not be on the job site everyday, still keeping them apprised of the work but not letting them see the internal talk of the company.

A GC I set it up for recently uses it to keep track of multiple projects without having to drive around to them every day. The foreman uploads pics and details of the days work, and the boss makes weekly visits instead of daily to make sure his money is staying green.

Pretty cool stuff, be glad to answer any questions about ActiveCollab. Only used Basecamp for a little while, wasn't a fan of the monthly fees.

Re-reading to edit and I realized it sounded a little.....company spokesman. I should mention I have no affiliation with either of the companies, other than I use their products.

That is all :)

·
Los Angeles Remodeler
84 Posts
I have used Excel and pre-formatted and programmed my own sheets. Its the best and most flexible tool out there. MSProject is also good for smaller delay claims and creating fragnets for change orders. I have seen some use Prolog but never heard them bragging about it, but I noticed continuous errors in the reporst which may have been user input error than the software.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I have used Excel and pre-formatted and programmed my own sheets. Its the best and most flexible tool out there. MSProject is also good for smaller delay claims and creating fragnets for change orders. I have seen some use Prolog but never heard them bragging about it, but I noticed continuous errors in the reporst which may have been user input error than the software.
Excel works, but it's really better if you take it a step further and set everything up through Microsoft Access, or any other database. It takes more time to initially set it up, and probably beyond most users ability to do that. But once it's set up it works more efficient.

·
Los Angeles Remodeler
84 Posts
Excel works, but it's really better if you take it a step further and set everything up through Microsoft Access, or any other database. It takes more time to initially set it up, and probably beyond most users ability to do that. But once it's set up it works more efficient.

Yes, I agree with you 100%. Access opens up the door to millions of possibilities but again, millions less people know how to use it compared to Excel. Baby steps. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts