Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a out of work Union pipe fitter from NJ and most of the work here in NJ is in the cities of Newark and Jersey City. Newark and Jersey City has a PLE with my Union to hiring Newark and JC residents first.
Usually the pipe fitters from these 2 cities are dumb as dirt. I was working with one that can't even read a tape measure, and I haven't worked with one yet who can read a print. Yet they can not be fired or laid off, and they know this, so they goof off all of the time.
My exformen is running a big job in JC and he tried to get me on, but he couldn't b/c of this

I am really pissed off about this. I am not sure if there is a way to fight this. I am even thinking of renting a cheap apartment in one of those cities just so I can get some work.

Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
The agreements I have seen the GC or sub only had to make a good faith effort ti hire a local work force. There were residency requirements to avoid moving in to the area to get work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
With rare exception, most contracts or agreements with these stipulations have waiver policies; for when exceptional individuals are needed or desired. If your ex foreman can't or won't exercise one of those provisions, there could be a variety of reasons.

As for being fair... That's a whole other issue, with a variety of contrasting views. In the end though we're all grown ups, while we should strive for fairness, it's absent in many areas of life and business.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts