Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to have accent lights on a programmable multiway switch.

I bought one, set it up without looking at the instructions because, well, it's a 3-way as the package states, right?

Well, it's not. Apperantly all programable 3-ways opperate in conjunction with a single-pole switch that sends a relay to the programmable switch that opperates as the toggle to the load.

Does anyone have any knowledge if there's actually a programmable 3-way that will work with a real multi-way switch setup; example being 4-way setup?

Any help would be awesome!

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Would like to have accent lights on a programmable multiway switch.

I bought one, set it up without looking at the instructions because, well, it's a 3-way as the package states, right?

Well, it's not. Apperantly all programable 3-ways opperate in conjunction with a single-pole switch that sends a relay to the programmable switch that opperates as the toggle to the load.

Does anyone have any knowledge if there's actually a programmable 3-way that will work with a real multi-way switch setup; example being 4-way setup?

Any help would be awesome!
No, only ones I know of work with a "load controller" master and a "remote" slave.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like Lutron's Vizia series has a multi-way feature, even though I don't believe it's a real 3-4-way series switch system.

It's too bad because I wanted to leave the lever style switches. :(

Gonna call them first thing in the morning and see if their system will serve my purpose.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I've run into those in some of my customers homes. They don't work and it is above my skills to fix.

I've had to call in my electrician to trace the wiring to repair the original job for them to work properly.

Good luck.

·
Registered
13,386 Posts
Looks like Lutron's Vizia series has a multi-way feature, even though I don't believe it's a real 3-4-way series switch system.

It's too bad because I wanted to leave the lever style switches. :(

Gonna call them first thing in the morning and see if their system will serve my purpose.
The Lizia is a Leviton product not Lutron.

Tom

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I use the Lutrom Maestro, it is not compatible with a conventional 3 or 4 way switch. One master up to 9.

Tom
Maestro is my favorite. Except when you get someone who doesn't understand how it operates and they click it a dozen times.

·
Registered
13,386 Posts
My wife still can't figure out why when she holds the switch down a few seconds instead of taps on it the lights don't shut off as quickly.

I can't figure out why she just doesn't tap it.:blink:

Tom

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
My wife still can't figure out why when she holds the switch down a few seconds instead of taps on it the lights don't shut off as quickly.

I can't figure out why she just doesn't tap it.:blink:

Tom
Mine thinks they only go on and magically turn themselves off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts