Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Profile Edges

4K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  PrecisionFloors 
#1 ·
I didn't want to start hijacking Precision's thread from his awesome tile job.

So while we're at it, let's talk profiles. Who uses them?

If you've seen any of Jarvis' photos, you'll see an excellent use of them. I have been doing the same. Instead of using bull nose pieces, I've been capping tile with profiles.

Here's an example:

I use Schluter Jolly. It has a built-in gap that gets grouted:

The floor to wall transition gets color-matched caulk.

ApgarNJ asked about a transition from wall to tub. They do make those:

See less See more
#4 ·
Designers....:mad:

Funny thing, since the look of using a profile is so different from what's been used for so long (bull nose pieces), you'd think designers would embrace the chance to be different.

I've been using them because I feel it gives me more options. I have the option of cutting my own base tiles and not needing over-priced specialty pieces.

Taking the "usefulness" of profiles one step further, I am now specifying the use of them in wall corners in shower locations. Caulk has been the weak link in wet locations. Using a profile that flexes, problem solved!

#6 ·
Yes, they are an acquired taste but with the color/material options available, I think it's a bit easier to get them to fit multiple looks.

Perfect example, I'm redoing apartment tub surrounds. They spec'd white 3x6 tile. I'm using the white PVC profiles anyplace there would be caulk. You can't really tell there is a profile at all. The no maintenance of not having caulk is what sold the property manager to hire me instead of the tile co they've been using for 15 years. The added cost to me is $25 per job over using just caulk & no profiles.

#7 ·
I'm not talking about the way
you use them.
It's just a lot of guys seem to just
shove them into any situation as
an easy fix, and they call too much
attention to themselves.
Sometimes the metal just looks like
an intrusion into a stone/ceramic environment.
I'm sure you have seen what I mean.
Tons of '60s futuristic/modernist stuff....

#12 ·
As Angus had mentioned in his first post, I use profiles on pretty much all my projects. The one that gets used 95% of the time is Schluter Rondec. Lots of finishes to choose from and the outside corners finish off kneewalls, benches, etc.

I have yet to try the inside corner profiles, but, I think they are a good idea! - No caulk together with epoxy grout - what possible maintenance could their be??

#13 ·
Interesting look. Too commercial for us and what we do. Might be able to use them in more contemporary style work, but almost all our work is traditional, natural looking stuff.

If you're doing commercial work that stuff should be required, it would eleviate a lot of issues that will come up down the road in commercial installs due to use and abuse.

#15 ·
I use profiles any time I can, but I have the same problems as Mike. For most of my installs they are just too industrial looking and the homies prefer a grouted or sealant look. I have used the tub profile and it works awesome...just too bulky for some tastes. I wish Schluter would expand their color wheel a little better and scale the size down when it comes to corner profiles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.