Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what everyone is using for contracts . Do you guys have a lawyer draw it up or just use a generic one off the net ? I do small commercial and residential excavating in massachusetts if that helps at all . Typically I get small grading ,demo work , septic systems etc n the residential side and now I have a small commercial job I just gave an estimate on and I want to cover my ass that's all .

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
A lawyer that deals with construction has boiler plate contracts they can tailor to your business. Here we use mainly CCDC contracts with an amendment.

Reactions: aj3580

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Did you bid it to a GC or Owner?
Owner, in the case of a subcontract job from a GC or construction management company typically they supply a contract to me. I don't bother with contracts for little handshake jobs.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Owner, in the case of a subcontract job from a GC or construction management company typically they supply a contract to me. I don't bother with contracts for little handshake jobs.
Ya I don't typically have a contract for jobs it's been all handshake jobs this one the owner really doesn't know what in the hell is going on so I want to cover my ass because the city is telling him he needs islands next to the sidewalk 8.45ft wide but he only wants them 5' idk I don't want to get stuck in the middle of a pissing contest holding mine too ;)

·
Registered
649 Posts
aj3580 said:
It's through the owner of the building
Ahh gotcha, well then you should have some sort of contract. Check out your local AGC or go to their website, you can purchase contracts that are editable or fill in the blank. They are very good contracts that are fair.

Or you could google one, the contracts are only as good as the people backing them. Most importantly be very clear with the scope of work and everyone involved know what the expectations are.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ahh gotcha, well then you should have some sort of contract. Check out your local AGC or go to their website, you can purchase contracts that are editable or fill in the blank. They are very good contracts that are fair.

Or you could google one, the contracts are only as good as the people backing them. Most importantly be very clear with the scope of work and everyone involved know what the expectations are.
Thanks I might have my lawyer make one up for me so I can edit the scope of work and customer etc on my own up until this point I haven't even had a contract .

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
Here's the Massachusetts , required contract,
This is for contractor to homeowner,

This is the bare minimum, This is mostly to protect the home owner from contractor. the better the scope of work description, the better it will be for you. along with a detail of the materials to be used .
I stopped using this a year or two ago. after getting cheated by a home owner. now mine is 12 pages and covers everything. done by lawyer

http://www.mass.gov/ocabr/docs/sampcont.pdf

·
Registered
819 Posts
got a hold of several competitors contracts and created my own...taking pieces of each of them to make the contract i wanted

the local builder association also has a contract that many builders use.....its too many pages for a plumber doing simple jobs

·
Registered
Custom
13,693 Posts
Putting together a contract of your own without knowledge of what needs to be included to adequately protect yourseld is no better than a DIY'er relying on the internet to build a house..

Can it be done? Sure, but too many variable and more will fail than not... Don't worry, you get to write it off, including the mileage to and from the attorney...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts