Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

I'm thinking about changing professions and was wondering if you guys could answer a few questions for me:

1. How seasonal is the work? (if at all)
2. What are typical working hours? (apprentice and journeyman)
3. What type of salary could be expected for an entry level position? (I'm in Michigan)
4. What do you look for in an apprentice?
5. What kind of education do you need?
6. What advice do you have for someone who is thinking about starting a career in your industry?

Thank you!
SLB

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
SLB said:
Gents,

I'm thinking about changing professions and was wondering if you guys could answer a few questions for me:

1. How seasonal is the work? (if at all)
2. What are typical working hours? (apprentice and journeyman)
3. What type of salary could be expected for an entry level position? (I'm in Michigan)
4. What do you look for in an apprentice?
5. What kind of education do you need?
6. What advice do you have for someone who is thinking about starting a career in your industry?

Thank you!
SLB
1. I'll bet it's pretty seasonal in Michigan
2. Dawn to dusk
3. Not much but advances accordingly.
4. Someone who thinks.
5. High school or better
6. Run now

Hope I could help.

Bob

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I'm just wondering why is it that when ever someone wants a profession change, it's always to be some kind of contractor.

Nobody ever says "Jeez I want to change my careers. I think I will go become an astronaut." or "I think I will become a doctor."

It's always a contractor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
>I'm just wondering why is it that when ever someone wants a profession >change, it's always to be some kind of contractor.

>Nobody ever says "Jeez I want to change my careers. I think I will go >become an astronaut." or "I think I will become a doctor."

>It's always a contractor.

Grumpy,

In my case I'm already a contractor... just with a different trade. :Thumbs:

Do you think that contracting might be a "fall back" for many people because of DIY shows that send the message that anyone can do what we do? Or maybe that contracting is one of the easiest industries to get into? Unlike becoming a doctor or astronaut which requires you to dedicate your life to that single goal from an early age. :eek:

Just a thought
SLB

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Yes I do think that DIY shows may be a factor. COntracting isn't so easy to get into if you are doing it properly. insurance liscencing etc... Sure if ya skip that good stuff it's easy.

When you say early age, I disagree with this. I think it would take 8 years to do the schooling to be a doctor. I could drop everything and go to school for 8 years now and become a doctor if I wanted. I didn't dedicate myself from any early age. I am the ripe old age of 27. I'd be a doctor at my past the prime age of 35.

No dedication here buddy!

BTW I absolutely hate most doctors.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Grumpy said:
BTW I absolutely hate most doctors.
Speaking of career change...the best doc I ever had started med school at age 38 when he retired from the navy (deep sea diver he was). He was one of the most interesting people I've met. In addition to having a very succesful practice he was a county coroner, running between hospital morgues at all hours of the day and night. At my first visit with him he had a Lucky Strike burning in one hand and another burning in the ash tray. Old pizza box on the radiator, files everywhere. He would sit and talk about your health concerns like he was family. Lucky Strikes finally took him about five years ago.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
I knew a Doc like that Pipe. He lived in a small town his whole life. (pop. 421). Near his last days he was sure he delivered every living person in the town, and once told me he could tell the union babies from non-union babies in the first 2 minutes. I asked him hows that. He said he didn't have to spank the union babies to get them to cry.

Bob

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Change is good! Dad was an engineer, shipwright and GC among other things.
I was chipping mortar off of old brick when I was 5, building small boats when I was 7, rebuilt my first engine at 8. Earned my engineering degree working construction and went into utilities design. Entered management for a boat manufacturer and earned PHD in hydrodynamics. Spent 4 yrs designing electrical components for big company. Sold yachts for a while. Hooked up with a yacht stabilizer co., earned PHD in fluid dynamics and drove the company to #2 in the world. I later developed a stabilizer system for another company. In 1988 I started Advanced Marine Systems and began to freelance. Shortly after that I started up smalljobs, LTD., an elaborated handyman service soon followed by Teetor & Teetor, a full service remodeling business. I recently bought the yacht stabilizer company that I originally founded and sold the smalljobs, LTD. business.
I had an offer today to start a real estate business, I may enter that field too.
Change is good!
P.S. I do a whole bunch more just for fun. I race motocross, hydroplanes and SCCA, fly too! Most are my own designs.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Grumpy, It looks like I'm going to learn roofing too!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts