Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I'd rather deal with the botched door unit than spend 8 hours a day doing what those guys do. IMO, there is little to no job satisfaction at the end of the day.

"Yeah, Honey, I'm home. I had a great day, We beat our record by one unit, we assembled 85 units today. I can't wait for tomorrow, we're going for 86."

·
David Festa
2,561 Posts
I didn’t notice any caulk or sealant being applied to the glass frame?
We had a double door from home cheapo that leaked real bad, Now I know why

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I would kill myself if I did that all day! Now I see why the hinge screws are always stripped or not put in all the way! Or lately I have gotten a few doors with the hinges not even in the mortise!

Dave

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I would kill myself if I did that all day! Now I see why the hinge screws are always stripped or not put in all the way! Or lately I have gotten a few doors with the hinges not even in the mortise!

Dave
Those guys probably drift in to a state of partial unconsciousness after about an hour into their shift. I guess it beats stuffing envelopes, but not by much. Can you imagine if your job was to set joist hangers 40 hours a week for a year or two?:rolleyes:

·
Motorboatin' son of a ...
1,104 Posts
The company that manufactures that machinery made that video to demonstrate how you can pump these doors out and make more money.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Those guys probably drift in to a state of partial unconsciousness after about an hour into their shift. I guess it beats stuffing envelopes, but not by much. Can you imagine if your job was to set joist hangers 40 hours a week for a year or two?:rolleyes:
I can amagine what the hangers would look like after a month or so of doing it :laughing: And I probly wouldn't have much of a thumb left unless I was using a nailer:laughing:

Dave

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I can amagine what the hangers would look like after a month or so of doing it :laughing: And I probly wouldn't have much of a thumb left unless I was using a nailer:laughing:

Dave
We had a professional caulker on the job last week. He's been doing it since he got out of school. 20 plus years. :blink: He had some great stories about working in Atlantic City, 40 floors up.:shutup: At 40 floors, I doubt he was being very meticulous about his beads.:laughing: He did some of the prisons in this area too. Who cares if the inmates are happy with the work.:w00t: Lifes troubles have to work on you when your caulking for 8 hours straight though.:sad:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I was a frequent visitor at builders first source when they were in the state of NJ, they use to make prehung split jamb units with all the casing on them already,

the shop was around 300,000sq ft and they had the stair division,window division,and door and millwork all under one roof!!:thumbup: it was non stop production ,watching them build spiral stairs on mock up walls was something:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,565 Posts

Dave

I had one of those jobs in my teens,lasted about 4 hours.

I be prone to start acting like this old coot!

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
immagine doing that for 40 to 48 hours a week and opening your paycheck for $200 after taxes!!

And this is why we hire "mexians" to do it. They do it, and they do it cheap....the cost of the the doors would SKYROCKET if we didn't have them around....

I am sure those guys are Legal, but they still work for a low rate...

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
For every want or need in this world there are people willing to perform the task for a price.

That is an amazing concept to me.

But then again I am a little tarded too. :w00t:

·
Registered
23 Posts
We had a professional caulker on the job last week. He's been doing it since he got out of school. 20 plus years. :blink: He had some great stories about working in Atlantic City, 40 floors up.:shutup: At 40 floors, I doubt he was being very meticulous about his beads.:laughing: He did some of the prisons in this area too. Who cares if the inmates are happy with the work.:w00t: Lifes troubles have to work on you when your caulking for 8 hours straight though.:sad:
Did he have to stop the conversation to show the muscle on the top of his forearm? I know some guys that caulk for a waterproofing company. If I had a dime for each time one of them has shown me their forearms, I could buy each of them a battery powered gun.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Did he have to stop the conversation to show the muscle on the top of his forearm? I know some guys that caulk for a waterproofing company. If I had a dime for each time one of them has shown me their forearms, I could buy each of them a battery powered gun.
Didn't see any forearm flexxing, but the caulk gun he was using looked similar to a grenade launcher.:laughing:

·
Registered
440 Posts
I think the only other 9-5 job that sucks worse than that is working in a cannery sorting tomatoes.. i was the only "******" working in there eventually after a few hours the tomatoes looked like friggen apples.. did that for 90 hours a week for 10 weeks

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
When these guys apply for a loan and have to list their occupation, do they put Carpenter?
That depends on how they fit into this profile. :laughing::laughing:

You know you're a carpenter when you have more coin wrapped upin your tools and truck than you do in everything else you got.

When you are watching a game and drinking your cheap domestic beer and all you can think about is how you are going to handle that tricky thing coming up on the job.

When you scrutinize every single building you walk into, drive by, see on TV, see in a magazine...

When you can tell by what a guy has loaded in his pickup, what trade he is in and what he is going to do that day or what he was doing that day.

When you can tell the species of wood being used by the smell.

When you you get to work early just to walk around and "feel" what is being missed before the rest of the zoo shows up.

When there are at least two tool catalogs on your coffee table, always.

When your wife's car is never ever going to see the inside of the garage, and you have her on board with the program.

When you care more about the quality of your tools than your haircut.

When 95% of your clothing budget is for work clothes.

When every gift you get is some kind of tool.

When all your friends have nail guns.

When you can tell the power tool being used by the sound. And wheather it is any good or not.

When the groom on your wedding cake has a nail bag on.

When you care more about how your cords and hoses are rolled up than the mud in your truck.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I imagine more than a few of them smoke a joint or two before they start their shift. With that kind of workplace monotony, I wouldn't blame them either.:blink:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts