Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
ned ormsby
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum so please excuse me if this topic has been covered a million times. We built an Ipe deck about a year ago and finished it with Penefin and its past due for a recoat. The homeowner has had some staining and wants to know if there is a way to remove them and if there is any way to avoid them in the future. The major problem was several black stains from metal chair legs. I am guessing that there is a reaction between the metal and the wood/finish. OK put coasters or such under the legs, but she is also getting staining from leaves that fall on the deck. Has anyone heard of this problem? Is it a finish problem? I'm guessing the only way to remove the stains is to sand the entire deck and refinish. Any thoughts on removing the stains and preventing them in the future.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
Drift on over to www.woodrich-brand.com These guys sell a stripper/oxalic wash that will take off the junk penofin you are using.

They also sell an outdoor finish modled after twp 100 series but without the voc the green mafia left wing *** monkeys have outlawed.

If you can get twp 100 series in your area,get it, I have used the woodrich finish and its not bad. Both of them do not require stripping just a good cleaning and an over coat,both are resin base. J.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Ipe will react with metal. It's not the finish doing it. I left a few screws on the edge of some ipe and the next morning I had to sand off the black marks they left.

I don't mind the Penofin. Usually just a light sanding and another coat keeps it looking new.

·
Composite Decking Mfr
135 Posts
Edward - this is the animal your client needs:

DAP Wood Bleach. It's oxalic acid. Those types of stains from metal will happen with any decking or finish - it's your clients furniture that is the problem not the Penofin or the ipe.

·
Registered
59 Posts
...junk penofin...

They also sell an outdoor finish modled after twp 100 series but without the voc the green mafia left wing *** monkeys have outlawed.

J.
These two statements are priceless!

I wish I could buy you a beer for making my day!

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
Well Hellll Glid...Ship it on over ups.

Dont use bleach on any outdoor project ghesssssss thats another urban mith that just wont go away like the bark side up/down thing.

Using either one of those quality finish a person could just sand the spot away and wipe another coat on. In a few Moons the differance will fade away. And put some ten ess balls on those charis legs !!!!

Ya know the JonMon should host a get to get on over at the Beloved Butler Manor. Be a lot better than the deck expousure sell some stuff freek show, just some layed back party here in Red Neck CowTown for all the deck Folks that want to buy me a Tecate, siting on the upstairs porch,burgers on the Kamato, Of course any rider comes with a Harley gets in free. But Neo has to pay twice.

Its the middle season Fellow Deck Guys, heres hoping the money is going well, Keep the rubber down and the paint up, Good to meet you all.
JonMon

·
Registered
1 Posts
construction systems inc

th
I'm new to this forum so please excuse me if this topic has been covered a million times. We built an Ipe deck about a year ago and finished it with Penefin and its past due for a recoat. The homeowner has had some staining and wants to know if there is a way to remove them and if there is any way to avoid them in the future. The major problem was several black stains from metal chair legs. I am guessing that there is a reaction between the metal and the wood/finish. OK put coasters or such under the legs, but she is also getting staining from leaves that fall on the deck. Has anyone heard of this problem? Is it a finish problem? I'm guessing the only way to remove the stains is to sand the entire deck and refinish. Any thoughts on removing the stains and preventing them in the future.
I have had the same problem and the only fix is to use a Uv rated urathene which will give it a diffrent look and make it a little slick since then we have used a product called deck ole , they use this product on old teak boat's ,it does work well but we do at least three coats

1 - 10 of 10 Posts