Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to bend some 29ga metal and when I hem it the metal slides in and in the pic I tried just bending in the middle and you can see no pressure seems to be being applied to the center

Any ideas what's going on?

Attachments

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,007 Posts
Trying to bend some 29ga metal and when I hem it the metal slides in and in the pic I tried just bending in the middle and you can see no pressure seems to be being applied to the center

Any ideas what's going on?
You Alumnabrake is just not heavy enough to bend steel roof coil John. Needs alot more clamps to hold it from slipping.

Seeing how I have never use an Alumnabrake or Van Mark not sure how you get them to clamp more. Thought you just push the handle more to clamp more?

My Tapco Black Max work good on this coil and having it bolted down in my work trailer helps alot too.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,007 Posts
What brand and model brake? My Tapco has adjustments for these types of problems.

Tom
Tom it is an Alumnabrake which works like a Van Mark, push the handle to get more clamping. Never use one so not sure how they get adjusted.

·
Been around
1,165 Posts
If it is like the Van Mark, there are nylon (or some dense type of plastic) wedges which can be adjusted.

The wedge sits under the cam-lock. If you slide the wedge in further under a cam, that cam engages more.

Setting the clamping pressure would be similar to a Tapco. Put a tab of coil under each clamp adjustment and try to make it so each clamp section has the same pressure.

Tapco has a screw and lock nut, Van Mark has a wedge and a screw in a slot to allow the wedge to move.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I have one also. Lifetime Warranty on all parts call them up, maybe hold back the steel comment:no:

What upset me about mine is the misleading bend two pieces coil stock at one time, my math .019" + .019" = .038" considerably thicker than gutter coil or gutter covers .024" up to .032" but no different type of aluminum so it does not like it and the shear simply will not work.

I use mine everyday and everyday I wish it was a Tapco. The Tapco shear will rip all the metal I've ever needed to rip without hesitating.

Since I'm on a rant… what I don't like about the Alum-a-brake

1. The shear.

2. The weight.

3. The stops on the front not in the brake. Although more accurate than the stops on the Tapco, it poses a problem ripping and then bending short bends (less than 5" hanging out of the brake) as the stops get in the way and they need to be unadjusted to bend and then readjusted.

4. Still cannot find consistency in hemming after all season.

5. Being as tight the bend is hemming also breaks the paint, more noticeable in dark colors.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah looking at the van mark website and their mark I, II, are claiming to be able to do 26ga painted steel.

:mad:

I echo you on the shear, i get a clean cut half and half and get a rippled cut the other times

1 - 8 of 8 Posts