Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Problems with Dimmer & Switch

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  rrk 
#1 · (Edited)
We just installed a new light fixture for client. 4 quantity 40 watt bulbs installed in fixture NOT LED. Decora switch was installed which worked in turning the light on and off. When we switched this out to Lutron dimmer (singe pole) we had continuous power to the light. Dimmer was not functioning. We tried another dimmer, thinking this one was damaged, but it did the same thing.

This is the dimmer: Lutron DIVA DV-600PH-WH

Why would a switch work, but dimmer not?

Thanks for your feedback.

#2 ·
Normally when a dimmer fails it fails full on. Usually the dimmer was damaged by a short, either by improper or careless installation or just an incandescent bulb burning out.

I'm willing to bet that you bought your dimmers from a Big Box store, and those stores are famous for putting customer returns right back on the shelf.

There isn't any way to wire a single pole dimmer so that it's on all the time. I think you have been getting bad ones. Try another supplier.

-Hal

#3 ·
What is s
Normally when a dimmer fails it fails full on. Usually the dimmer was damaged by a short, either by improper or careless installation or just an incandescent bulb burning out.

I'm willing to bet that you bought your dimmers from a Big Box store, and those stores are famous for putting customer returns right back on the shelf.

There isn't any way to wire a single pole dimmer so that it's on all the time. I think you have been getting bad ones. Try another supplier.

-Hal
What is strange is that we tried two brand new dimmers right out of the sealed box...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.