Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am in a pickle. The guy before me (no names) on a fence job decided to use .065 walled galvanized posts on a fence set in a concrete footer. Wind blew, and over time, those very thin posts are/have bent at the footer.

My dilemma is, is there a way to save the concrete footer, and remove the old posts and then set in Sch40 galvanized posts in? I know that there are concrete drills/bits, but I know for a fact that the posts are 3 feet in the ground, set in concrete for the entire 3 feet. The concrete is in perfect shape, but all of the posts have some lean to them.

I am not the kind of contractor to set up a new fence when I know that when the project is finished, I won't be proud of it. I have walked away from projects before, but this is a big one. Shoot me some suggestions guys, I'm all ears!

Thanks,

Eric

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Fence guy?Your terminology and lack of knowledge tells me different.Sorry if I'm wrong but not have been since 1962.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahhh, thank you for your reply... very helpful... I love how the contractor community has some people that are glad to lend a helping hand, and others who, well... just aren't...

I guess you're referring to "guy" that I used for the guy before me... I used that because any company would have used schedule 40 posts in an area that is open, does not have many structures/plant life around to block wind in an area where we get 50+mph gusts... so I said guy as in it was someone winning the lowest bid, and cutting $400 with posts...

Everyone starts somewhere, I'd like to treat everyone on here with the respect they obviously deserve, so I would like the same in return... too much to ask?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
My reference was in saving the concrete "footer.36 " of concrete in a hole for a fence post and you're talking about core drilling them and replacing in the same concrete.
No fence guy that I have ever heard of would even consider this.
Did not intend to offend you but :"get off of my lawn".

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now that answer I do appreciate, so thank you... I have never run into this problem, so figured I'd ask... It is about 5 - 6k worth of footer.

I appreciate the input, and since it is a ludicrous question, I will remove it shortly.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
To answer your question.You will have to at least dig the top of the old concrete post holes out until you can get a strap around them far enough down to hook a Bobcat or something on them to pull them out and then repour.
Glad I won't be paying for the new fence.Good luck with it and hope you make a buck or two.Maybe even tree-fiddy.

·
Super Moderator
24,725 Posts
Backhoe with a 4/1 bucket should pop those out in nothing flat.

Mini Ex would also do the job.

What size sch40 pipe?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Griz is correct.Doubt if anyone asking these questions has that kind of equipment.
Didn't intend to be rude to the op.But!!!! Getting tired of fixing these guys FU's and hearing from the HO"I already paid for it once,can't really afford to pay for it again"
Maybe I'm just having a bad day?

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
If I were you, I'd replace the whole thing: new posts, new crete.

You don't know how deep or the condition of the concrete.

Start fresh, start new, do it right.

Often, the best fix just isn't the easiest.

Plus, probably quicker ripping out and seeing new that drilling out anyway.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am not against ripping it all out and starting anew... I would imagine the HO is though... about 380 linear feet of fence and very nice footer... it's a shame, but I bet that is the best option.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I am not against ripping it all out and starting anew... I would imagine the HO is though... about 380 linear feet of fence and very nice footer... it's a shame, but I bet that is the best option.
Who gives a chit. He called you because he don't know how or want to fix it. Don't let him dictate how to fix it unless he's right.

You touch it, you own it. DO IT RIGHT OR WALK AWAY.

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts

·
The Dude
2,019 Posts
Is this a continuous footer and stem wall you're referring to that you want to keep, or is there an individual footing for each post?
A 380' continuous footing and stem wall might take a LITTLE more than a mini-ex to take out. Excavator with bucket and breaker, and a track loader ...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A continuous footing, yes... and people around here do it a lot... I think the best thing for me to do would be pass... His budget is too low to make a few bucks on... All in all he wants what is a $15k fence for 8k... not a snowballs chance... thanks everyone

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
A continuous footing, yes... and people around here do it a lot... I think the best thing for me to do would be pass... His budget is too low to make a few bucks on... All in all he wants what is a $15k fence for 8k... not a snowballs chance... thanks everyone
15 seems low

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Who builds a fence with a continuous footing? That would be a waste of concrete.
We do, 99.99% of the times.
but then again, we have different earth

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
We do, 99.99% of the times.
but then again, we have different earth
Right. I don't even know where he is. I forget that this is world wide sometimes. I think everyone is right near me. lol

I've seen continuous footings before, but they were poured long before I was born.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts