Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

We've just painted a new house,before we stated there were some rooms showing signs of damp, chisels out and re-plastered with Izonil water proof plaster.

Then we used a stabiliser on all the walls, in one room we have a small patch where the paint is peeling of you can pull it off like thin plastic sheet. I can't remember who's paint it was now, it could well have been PPL Pittburg emulsion.

I've only had this happen once before, the house had been had been levelled which left a chalky powder film, we sanded and painted, about 6 weeks later it started to peel off in big sheet like plastic, I think the emulsion was a plasti based. the walls should have been stabilised but the owner didn't want to spend the extra cost.

·
General Contractor
8,115 Posts
The wall should be prepped properly before painting, dust removed, right primers should be used etc. You said it yourself "Izonil water proof plaster" was used, and probably didn't allow primer or paint to penetrate surface and stick to it and now is peeling.

If you knew before hand something extra needed to be done, and when you mentioned to the customer, he refused to pay for extra work, then you shouldn't paint the wall, because you knew it will fail.

Most likely you will have to make it good on it now, because you went ahead and did the job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi, we used Izonil were the damp was showing, this room had no traces and we didn't do any repairs,the room and walls were dry.
We always sand down, fill, sand again, wipe the surface before we start, if any major repairs have to be done it's always left to dry out.

it's only in this one small area, it maybe some contamination in the plastering. its the first time the house as been painted.

I asked another Q, in another post about stabilisers, some say use some say not to use unless its chalky or loose surfaces, some say if you stabilise it can cause you problems, what are these problems?

As for the other guy I mentioned he accepted it was though him penny pinching, he paid us to sort it out.

·
General Contractor
8,115 Posts
hi, we used Izonil were the damp was showing, this room had no traces and we didn't do any repairs,the room and walls were dry.
We always sand down, fill, sand again, wipe the surface before we start, if any major repairs have to be done it's always left to dry out.

it's only in this one small area, it maybe some contamination in the plastering. its the first time the house as been painted.

I asked another Q, in another post about stabilisers, some say use some say not to use unless its chalky or loose surfaces, some say if you stabilise it can cause you problems, what are these problems?

As for the other guy I mentioned he accepted it was though him penny pinching, he paid us to sort it out.
Pete, I see you a GC, why don't you call your painter and have him find the problem.i.e, whether its the plaster, primer or paint caused this problem, take necessary steps to fix the spot and repaint one wall.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts