Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a sub do a job for me in Feb has been calling me ever since looking for more work. I just found out there are some issues with the job do to an improper installation of a product.

I believe it to be a fairly simple fix a couple hours labor maybe a few bucks worth of material. to fix a botched $12,000 job

I have been trying to contact this sub for 3 weeks now I call him every day and leave a message he never returns it. My guys have seen him around town so I know he is not away. And he is still in business.

My question is what do I do now? Can I fix this and bill him for it since he has been given ample opportunity to look at the problem?

This is the number 1 reason why we have started doing almost everything in house.

I wasn't even mad about the problem with the job, I probably would have even paid him a reasonable amount to go back out had he actually gotten back to me when I originally called.

·
Custom Stuff
867 Posts
Patrick said:

I believe it to be a fairly simple fix a couple hours labor maybe a few bucks worth of material. to fix a botched $12,000 job

There's your answer right there; get over their and correct the problem first, then find the sub by telling him you have a job for him. When he shows up, now you have him. If he does more work for you, back charge him for the first job.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
OF coarse you can make the repair and send him a bill, i would not hold my breath waiting for a check. The way you describe his actions, he seems to be avoiding you because he knows there is a problem. He will probably avoid you even more when it comes to paying up . G

·
Banned
9,058 Posts
I had a sub do a job for me in Feb has been calling me ever since looking for more work. I just found out there are some issues with the job do to an improper installation of a product.

I have been trying to contact this sub for 3 weeks now I call him every day and leave a message he never returns it. My guys have seen him around town so I know he is not away. And he is still in business.

My question is what do I do now? Can I fix this and bill him for it since he has been given ample opportunity to look at the problem?

This is the number 1 reason why we have started doing almost everything in house.

I wasn't even mad about the problem with the job, I probably would have even paid him a reasonable amount to go back out had he actually gotten back to me when I originally called.
? So he was calling you frequently, looking for work ... then you called him ... and then you can't get a hold of him?

When you first called him, you didn't tell him why you were calling in the message did you? :shutup:

Obviously this isn't a stand up guy either way.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I thought it was already established the guy was a total idiot already? :laughing:

I never assume the stupid are suddenly going to get smart for no reason.

I bet you anything he will call.

I know I could get him to call, that's for sure. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I'd go amd make the repairs so you don't have a pissed off client. Sending him a bill would be a waste of time, as he's never going to pay it. Giving him another job and expecting to back charge him for the repairs would be stupid:

a) You already made him whole on that job, and by making final payment you accepted the work. I'm sure you don't have a standing contract with him, and probably didn't even have him sign your contract for the first job, and if you did I'm willing to bet that your contract says nothing about procedures for notifying of defective work, corrective timeframes, and backcharges. If you took the repair $$ for Job A from the proceeds of Job B, he could take you to small claims court, and most likely win.

b) He did a poor job on the first project, so why would you want him on another project?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts