Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I am trying to solve a problem with a roof hatch. Doing some minor repair work at a house, a stain was brought to my attention. There looked like there was a leak, after pulling down the pulldown stair case, I found it went up to a roof hatch where condensation has been occuring, and now causing other issues.

Having never directly dealt with this I've been looking around on line at different possible solutions, but figured I'd see if anyone else had any suggestions from experience.

The two methods I have found involve venting it to balance the sides which in turn will cause heat loss, and I will probably have to make a trap door, or trying to insulate the hatch which seems like it would be very tight and I doubt I could get a sufficient rating.

Thoughts?

·
The Dude
2,388 Posts
In unconditioned uninsulated attic space, don't worry about heat loss. Ventilate it to remove humidity. Also look for bath fans that dump into the attic instead of through the roof. It used to be up to code, at least in Tenn.

Could it also be more than just condensation? Perhaps the hatch has a bit of a leak too? If the rafters aren't insulated I wouldn't insulate the hatch.

Is it insulated rafters with a flat roof and a hatch from interior directly to exterior? If so I'd probably eliminate it and insulate. You can get to the roof with a ladder - no need for a hatch in residential - unless there's some code that applies to you that I'm not aware of.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts