Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
General Contractor
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My previous client asked me to write a work estimate for the insurance. Due to water damage on the second floor, the laundry pipe broke and the water came down through to the first floor bedroom ceiling. All 4 walls are wet and the entire hardwood floor was covered with about 2" of water. The finished room in the basement also has water on the ceiling and all walls. The insurance company sent a cleaning team to do the clean up and cut out part of the ceiling and wall to let the water out. They used a fan blower to dry the insulation that was wet. My estimate was to completely gut both rooms, pull all insulation out, and install new insulation and new drywall. The insurance adjuster will only pay for a portion of the hardwood floor (where it started to buckle up) and for 25% of the drywall and insulation in both rooms even though they are all wet. He said that the cleaning team already got the insulation and drywall to dry and I don't need to replace all of it. I believe once the insulation and the drywall are soaked with water, it should be replaced with a new one to prevent mold. I have spoken with the adjuster a couple of times on the phone and tried to explain this to him, but it seems it didn't do any good. He keeps insisting that's all the insurance company is allowed to pay. Any thoughts or advice?

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
Run! Let him find someone else who is willing to deal with the pursuant mold issues. Give him an estimate for everything you feel needs to be done, and be done with it.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
Working for insurance company's generally sucks...

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Assuming you want in this game you must know all the rules & be willing to play. If you want the job take it on the Adj. price. Your scope of work must be very specific. When you come across additional damage you submit a Request for Information (RFI) that basically says there's an additional 200 sq ft of water damaged drywall & insulation & a potential mold remediation/abatement issue when the wall is opened up. (or whatever the problem is) How would you like me to procede? This has documented the problem and taken the liability from you should the problem not be corrected. Submit the RFI to the Adjuster, his supervisor & home owner. The Adj. will ask for a Request for proposal (RFP). You now provide an additional scope of work & a quote to complete it which generates a Change Order. Don't forget to add your P&O. Insurance companies don't like future liabilities especially when they have been documented. Also have the Bldg. Insp and/or local health Dept. look at it. You will have to do this process for each detail that comes up. The adjuster is trying to keep his bottom line under control. Once you have documented the problem to him he now has the documentation so he can explain the upcharge to his boss. It may seem like a royal PITA but insurance work can be very lucrative.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
It is up to your client to deal with the insurance adjuster.

Give your client a bid with the scope of work and they need to deal with the adjuster.

In Florida we can't work with an adjuster on behalf of a client, because that is considered acting as an adjuster and a license is required.

What I have done in the past when a client showed an adjuster my bid and the adjuster said it was too high, I told the client to ask him for the name of some other licensed contractors that could do it cheaper, they usually say, I can't give out a recommendation.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Here is the deal, we handle the insurance adjuster as a curtosy to our customers, ultimately we do get paid for this service. When i meet the adjuster, i negotiate and explain what i think needs to be done, most of the time they are reasonable and we can agree. On the rare occasion when we can not agree, i recomend a private adjuster to my client, they either take my suggestion or take up the fight on their own, GMOD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts