Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you are probably experiencing,i am having difficulty closing. my problem is this:
lately alot of homeowners tell me right off the bat(on the phone before i ever meet them) that they ARE NOT INTERESTED in buying right now. when i get to the home they say the same thing before i even start talking. after my presentation they all say they were impressed and love my product but they are not ready to spend at this time because they just re did their kitchen or deck ect.. any idea's on a way to close when i am in this situation?
keep in mind these leads came from canvassing so i went out and knocked on doors trying to create leads.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,463 Posts
Those are called tire kickers and they are admitting it to you on the phone. Why are you wasting your time going there. Have the conversation on the phone and do your best to impress them there.

·
Banned
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the rick is to turn a "cold call" into a WARM CALL. my problem is gettingf them to close and how to go about doing it..obviously they are interested or they never would have agreed..i need to turn that interest into a need. i just accept that they are not going to buy now and leave it at that. i worry if i come on too strong they won't call me when they DO DECIDE TO BUY. in other words putting on some pressure can ruin a future sale.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
If they say on the phone they arent interested in buying within the next 60 days I say give us a call when you are. its a COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME Just tell them pricing changes so much you cant possibly give them a proper proposal.

·
Registered
539 Posts
well,...

the rick is to turn a "cold call" into a WARM CALL. my problem is gettingf them to close and how to go about doing it..obviously they are interested or they never would have agreed..i need to turn that interest into a need. i just accept that they are not going to buy now and leave it at that. i worry if i come on too strong they won't call me when they DO DECIDE TO BUY. in other words putting on some pressure can ruin a future sale.
I somewhat feel your pain, Davinci-

We've as of recent started to canvass again, and it's somewhat of a catch-22....We have a younger guy and a couple of young girls (20-ish) that present very well,..Dress neat, have door-hangers, gift cards, etc.--Simply stop by the homeowners house, introduce ourselves and our services and see if they've noticed our trucks or vans in the neighborhood....The canvass crew has been generating leads,...I'll call the homeowners myself to try and set the appointment, letting them at the same time know that they very well could take advantage of the $1500.00 Federal Energy Tax Credit, providing they do have an interest in doing a project.

You have to be careful about qualifying the lead while making the initial phone call in regards to setting the appointment,....As of recent, one of my reps is saying the same thing you're saying:

"They want a roof, just not right now".

I am now at the end of my conversation with the homeowner--"Now,.....Is this something you folks are looking at having done before the snow falls, providing we can show you a great product at a good price, Mr. or Mrs. ______________?"

At that point, you should be able to get a good idea of what and when they are planning on doing, and then be able to make your own judgement call from there,.......

Again, just my thoughts, but I wish you well.

·
Banned
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the thing with canvassing;you are stopping by a home and trying to generate excitement. in other words,turn a cold call into a hot call. they may say we are not ready now over the phone but the trick is to get into their home and create excitement even urgency. at least thats what i've been told. thats why they tell me not to focus too much on if and when they are ready when talking on the phone with them. also,my canvasser makes the appointment on the spot and tcahnically we are supposed to get into the home within 5 days without a follow up call. the less contact the better. any opinons on that...

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
As many of you are probably experiencing,i am having difficulty closing. my problem is this:
lately alot of homeowners tell me right off the bat(on the phone before i ever meet them) that they ARE NOT INTERESTED in buying right now. when i get to the home they say the same thing before i even start talking. after my presentation they all say they were impressed and love my product but they are not ready to spend at this time because they just re did their kitchen or deck ect.. any idea's on a way to close when i am in this situation?
keep in mind these leads came from canvassing so i went out and knocked on doors trying to create leads.

Write this down - Great secret in business #16

ASK QUESTIONS.

Why aren't you ready to buy? Why are you calling me? What would it take for you to buy? How do I make this sale????

The answers aren't here on this forum as to why your customers are saying this to you.

Your customers have the answer, you just have to ask them.

·
Banned
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"we need new windows not desparately but we could use them. however, we just blew through alot of money on a kitchen remodel so if we were to do this,we want to wait til the fall."
i said i fully understand and they can call me when they are ready.. we left on very good terms and they liked me and seemed to trust me. HOWEVER, that does not pay the bills. i need some advice on what to say regarding a situation i just explained based on what they said.

·
Registered
539 Posts
hmmm

Create urgency. Have a "call to action".

Maybe even joke-"Is a new kitchen going to save you money on your energy bills"?

Emphasize the Federal Tax Credit if in fact your product(s) fall within the criteria for the homeowner to take advantage of.

After giving them your initial bid,..Are you implenting any type of rehash program?

And like Mike said,...ASK QUESTIONS:

"What would it take for me to earn your business?"

It can only help.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thats a good response..
i had another couple keep saying they need to think about it..i called them twice and each time they said they are still thinking about it..i then said i'll call them in a week or so..if they did'nt want to buy,would'nt they just say call next year or they can't do it yet?

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
So if I gave you this for free would you buy it today?

Well hell yeah I would.

Okay, so it's really not a matter of anything but money then?

Well... now.. the goat has got the hives, the baby has the crupe.. the locust are in the field...

So if I gave you this for free, you'd buy it today though?

Well hell yes!

Okay, so it's really not anything but about the dollar amount then?

So What would it take to sell you this today?

Well.... I'd have to ask the wife... and of course the pastor isn't going to be back till wed... the...

So if I gave you this for free you'd buy it today?

Well hell yes!!!

So this is really about the costs then isn't it?

So what would it take for me to help you buy this today?

..... and on and on it goes...

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
not necessarily, it was easier for them to just say "ok" and then not answer your call...people don't like to say "no" if they can help it, even if that's what they mean.

How many people call you back to tell you that you didn't get the project?
I had one!!! couldn't believe it! quoted a house full of crown - couple weeks later (March 6) the lady called, said they went with another person. Huh, I was $3/ft on that one, didn't expect to get underbid.(that's low for this area) Didn't know what to say, so I said thanks for letting me know.

in retrospect, I should have asked the client why did they go with someone else? money? presentation?
Closing is an art! workin on that I be....

lauriescustomfinishing.ca

1 - 20 of 26 Posts