Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
I like Green things
23,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a 20" jointer is nice, but I always kept thinking a little bigger never hurt. I always casually looked for something a bit bigger, but it had to be a Clement or American.

Well, a friend who shares a similar affliction turned me on to a hot little number, which happened to be 30.:whistling

Just found and bought a 30" American jointer. Have to make a trip to upper mid state NY in a few weeks.

Attachments

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Do you refer to it as your Mighty Joint?

·
Registered
Remodel
29,566 Posts
Gives me a hernia just looking at it:whistling

Nice pick-up, does that mean the 20" goes away?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
What type of work were jointers like that used for? I would expect any board you're using that is 30" wide is also at least 1.5" thick and several feet long. Trying to man handle boards that big on a jointer isn't very practical. Extra long would be far more useful than extra wide.

·
I like Green things
23,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What type of work were jointers like that used for? I would expect any board you're using that is 30" wide is also at least 1.5" thick and several feet long. Trying to man handle boards that big on a jointer isn't very practical. Extra long would be far more useful than extra wide.
Casket factories used a lot of 30 and 36" machines.

I am going to make some of those lazy edge slab tables all the yuppies are spending crazy money on.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,765 Posts
That thing is gonna suck you in.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts