Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you call a plumber to put a new vanity in your bathroom. Say like a person goes to a home improvement center buys a new vanity. Then they can just call a plumber to slap it in correct. I know a plumber will hook up the water and drain i guess my question is are they also set up to attached it to the wall because i know some vanitys require a few shims.

Ps. this isn't for me its for my sister. But i'm 99percent sure a plumber can slap a vanity in no problem. Somebody say all day everyday. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
295 Posts
That is actually a really good question. I myself install them but some plumbers whine about doing it and say "what's next the kitchen cabinets"!!
You're sister should definately ask and not assume on this one. Although I'm with you on this one and you would think this should be a no brainer...but it comes down to one's experience and scope of work.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
74 Say like a person goes to a home improvement center buys a new vanity. Then they can just call a plumber to slap it in correct. [/QUOTE said:
One of my best friends is a plumber and I hear from him all the time about how the homeowner buys some cheap piece of crap and ask him to install it and it takes him twice as long than if he bought what he knew was the right thing for the job.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I personally wouldn't call a plumber to do what you want to do. If you are doing a replacement of an existing vanity and sink the only plumbing involved is adding a hot and cold feed from the sink to the shut off with some plumbers tape and tighening a drain onto the old stub out. The rest of the work involves actually doing something with some skill.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The hardest part about installing a vanity is carrying it into the house, without damaging it or surrounding walls, etc.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Mike Finley said:
I personally wouldn't call a plumber to do what you want to do. If you are doing a replacement of an existing vanity and sink the only plumbing involved is adding a hot and cold feed from the sink to the shut off with some plumbers tape and tighening a drain onto the old stub out. The rest of the work involves actually doing something with some skill.
There are plumbers who have skills besides "plumbing" ...

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
hauoli63 said:
There are plumbers who have skills besides "plumbing" ...
I understand that, but my view is that this involves less than 10 minutes of plumbing and 50 minutes of everything else. I call plumbers to do plumbing, mostly because it is required by code. Run a new drain, hook up this or that, whatever is called for.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Mike Finley said:
... The rest of the work involves actually doing something with some skill.
C'mon, Mike! That's a bit wild. I always agree with what you have to say and offer, but perhaps you were having a bad day when you wrote that. That statement is entirely too disrespectful to your fellow tradesmen.

Slam a homeowner, yes. Slam a hack handyman, yes. Slam another tradesman, no.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
mdshunk said:
C'mon, Mike! That's a bit wild. I always agree with what you have to say and offer, but perhaps you were having a bad day when you wrote that. That statement is entirely too disrespectful to your fellow tradesmen.

Slam a homeowner, yes. Slam a hack handyman, yes. Slam another tradesman, no.
Md,

Taken out of context I agree and see what you mean, I didn't mean it to sound like it does. I'm glad you called me out, because I don't want anybody to think that's what I meant.

Let me make it clear that I don't mean to say doing plumbing takes no skill - I will officially state right now that it takes a tremendous amount of skill to do plumbing (especially to do it right!)

What I meant was the 2 plumbing steps involved in the process of what would be required to install this project don't take a lot of skill.

- Basically getting two correct length 3/8 or 1/2 feed lines to connect the hot and cold shut-offs, put some plumbers tape on the threads and tighten with a pair of 50 cent pliers. Secondly buying a 1 1/4 inch diameter plastic drain kit and tightening a couple of tension rings by hand.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update

after reading you guys post early meaning some do some don't. I told my sister to call my plumber. A do it all man meaning plumbing heating and airconditioning. Tell him your my sister and ask him. He told her he would stop by at around 7pm to do it for her. She is 20 minutes from him in a different town. She said he had to redue the drainage pipe to make the new one work. But he got it in. I asked how much did he charge she said 110.00 dollars i thought that was fair. Oh she said the old pipe was steel now its all pvc. (in her words the pipe was silver underneath now its white) :cheesygri

Thanks for the Input at always. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
438 Posts
You guys must be working in newer homes, where the replacement would take 5 min. What happens when you run into lead bends? Or for that matter fine thread pipe?

Yes it does take skill to set a vanity correct, to scribe it and attatch it without damange to it or its surroundings.

I have yet in 25 years had a vanity " that drops in " without any adjustments.

BJD

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Let's put it like this, - - there are more carpenters that also know plumbing than there are plumbers who also know carpentry.

Plumbing is a 'specific' skilled trade.

Carpentry, though 'skilled' is much more of an 'assortment', - - to say the least.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Tom R said:
Let's put it like this, - - there are more carpenters that also know plumbing than there are plumbers who also know carpentry.

Plumbing is a 'specific' skilled trade.

Carpentry, though 'skilled' is much more of an 'assortment', - - to say the least.
I was wondering what took you so long!! :cheesygri Where did you pull that info from?? Then again don't tell me! :cheesygri

Carpenters who THINK they know plumbing are no further along than you're average DIY'er. So, in closing any further discussion about plumbing amongst carpenters should be done on the other site!! :cheesygri

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
I thought that one would raise a few 'short-hairs' for you plumbers!!

Just remember, too, - - our '$hit' is your 'bread and butter'!! :cheesygri

I sure know how to 'socialize', don't I?? ;)

Just kiddin' there, plumguy, call back the 'posse' there, will ya?? ;) !!

·
Registered
295 Posts
I would love to continue this...however I must go watch our World Champion Red Sox beat the $hit out of those damn Yankers! :cheesygri ;)

Oh! And then Sunday I have to watch our World Champion Patriots kick the $hit out of .....whoever is next!! :cheesygri :cool:

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
And in the meantime, - - I'll 'correct' myself for you, - - plumbers do 'SOME' carpentry, - - it's just that it's ALL with a 'SAW-ZALL'!! :cheesygri

·
Registered
197 Posts
Okay guys, here is a story from my husband who is a very skilled plumber and remodeler (who knows how to do bathroom remodels including setting vanities)....

He says that at one time a company he used to work for sent a plumber out to set a vanity. The guy opened the box upside down and couldn't figure out how to set the sink top ... so, he took his sawzall ... cut off the bottom of the vanity and set the sink top on that!!!! :eek:

This was when he worked for someone else ... before he started his own company ... not someone who worked for us .... !!!! ;)

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Lisa, I can buy in on this because I know that somebody, somewhere is a complete idiot.

Unfortunately, I have to deal with these people every day.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts