Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would give this stuff a go. Its not cheap at $120 a roll but hopefully I get a few jobs out of a roll.

It uses some kind of compression adhesive technology. Once you push down on it it stays down until it needs to be removed. It comes back up easy and leaves no residue from what I can tell. Currently I'm using it on some finished oak stairs and its working well.

It can also stay down for 90 days without damaged to the floor finish.

image-3308433127.jpg

image-853541867.jpg

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I've used that before and it's pretty darn good, great for stairs. I've also tried a cheaper different brand and ended up throwing it away. After just three days it left residue on a new wood floor. Never had that problem with the ProTect stuff. The longest I left it down though was about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I used a roll from them for 2 jobs in the same house.

As you say carpet and wood floor are different products.

Very happy with the product and got it in just a few days from their GA warehouse. I think it was about $44 plus shipping. Well worth it.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We Fix Houses said:
I used a roll from them for 2 jobs in the same house.

As you say carpet and wood floor are different products.

Very happy with the product and got it in just a few days from their GA warehouse. I think it was about $44 plus shipping. Well worth it.
I see the carpet one. Looked interesting as is also stuck down. They had a roller to apply it to on large areas that looked cool.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
They have You Tube videos on how to put down the product including the roller.

I sent a vid for the stairs to my helper on his iphone he watched it and put it down first thing.

·
Registered
8,645 Posts
I have used that a few times until one of my customers kids slipped on the stairs wearing some kind of fabric bottomed slippers. Now I just use the rest of the roll on flat floors, I use another product whose name escapes me on the stairs. Has rubber back recycled cloth outer layer, and I take it up every day.

The carpet mask works very well but don't pull straight up when taking it off, it can pull the carpet off the tackless.

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
Who sells it? Looks like the perfect solution for stairs...

·
Registered
13,965 Posts
Let us know how it works. I need something like that soon. Im not sure if I get it if I should leave through the course of the job or if it rolls up daily at the end of each day.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I left it down over night. I took my cloth dust sheets up though. I think it will last longer leaving it down.i would guess over time the tackiness of the adhesive wears out if you keep taking up and putting it down. Unless you give the floor a good wipe down before you lay it.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,699 Posts
I'm not sure if it's the same brand I used, but I used some this summer that was a pain in the ass to get off the carpet after 2 weeks. Water did release it though, but it took some time to get loose.

I keep it in the trailer & use it when we've gotta drag sanders across carpet, but I don't usually leave it down but a few days.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts

·
Registered
8,645 Posts
I'm not sure if it's the same brand I used, but I used some this summer that was a pain in the ass to get off the carpet after 2 weeks. Water did release it though, but it took some time to get loose.

I keep it in the trailer & use it when we've gotta drag sanders across carpet, but I don't usually leave it down but a few days.
Yep, after 2 weeks it can be a pain to take up, but at least the carpet looks good. First one I did I pulled carpet off tackless :eek:

One person falling down the stairs due to my runner is enough, I take it up every day. The carpet protector on carpeted stairs stays the entire job though.

That clear carpet protector has been out for 10 or 15 years, nothing new. Just more companies manufacture it now.

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
So is this stuff like a thicker carpet protector??

·
Registered
13,965 Posts
Question: In the Installation video the guy cuts every 2 steps then overlaps a new piece.

Is it that much of a hassle rolling out as you go doing a full run?

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tom M said:
Question: In the Installation video the guy cuts every 2 steps then overlaps a new piece.

Is it that much of a hassle rolling out as you go doing a full run?
Nope it goes down easy. What I did was put the slack at the top of the stairs then pulled it down and laid it in each step as I made my way up. Its still in exactly the same place it was the other day.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts