Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any if you guys send customers to these guys ? Reason I'm asking is I have lost a few jobs due to my price being a lot more than other guys. I was hardly making anything on one of them so I looked into what other places were charging for the same material and noticed a massive difference in price. Some times as much as half the price than I can buy elsewhere. I don't like losing work in this way. The customer thinks I'm adding massive mark ups through pro source but I'm not adding anything and letting them have it at my cost.

I hate to send customers to big box stores but trying to use the smaller guys is losing me work.

Just curious if others who have used them found the same thing. They tell me they are wholesale but as of yet every product I have priced has been way more through them.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
ProSource is on the top of my vendor list for cabinets and flooring.

In the St. Louis Area their costs are right where they should be in my opinion.

We have a few places that offer glued together saw dust cabinets, box stores, ProSource and some high end cabinet and flooring lines.

95% of kitchens, baths and flooring comes out ProSource for me. If a homeowner is into the upper high end cabinets we'll step up a tier or go through one of the local custom cabinet contractors.

I have a great relationship with my kitchen designer there as well as my account manager. My clients can book appointments with them at their convenience and I can meet them there for the appointment or get a detailed follow up if I was busy.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Their tile prices weren't competitive enough for me to drive all the way across town for material pick ups. Add that to sales people never returning phone calls and I said goodbye.

Recently, they added cabinets and contacted me to come back with a whole new crew working behind the counter. I'd like to give them another try but don't have the right job to test them.

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had a call from the main office few days ago right after I posted this. Don't think it was because of this post but I explained to them the problems with their pricing and them being vastly more expensive and she said she would have their people look into the issue.

They have just said they would beat a local company after I lost the job. They wouldn't match it before though so perhaps head office said something to them.

·
Registered
388 Posts
For what it's worth, they do have a $100 low price guarantee.

Details here.

Most ProSource locations are independently owned so it makes sense that their prices won't be consistent across the board.

If you happen to be close to the Dayton, Ohio location we recommend you ask for Doug.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
For what it's worth, they do have a $100 low price guarantee.

Details here.

Most ProSource locations are independently owned so it makes sense that their prices won't be consistent across the board.

If you happen to be close to the Dayton, Ohio location we recommend you ask for Doug.
Do these price match offers by some suppliers bother any one else but me.

I think big-deal.... I have to do all the shopping, and I find a better price .....and I have to get a written quote.... and GRATUITOUSLY they guarantee/offer to match that price.

Why the he11 would I give the higher price company my business... I'd give it to the party that was offering the best price.

Matter of fact, I actually stay away from companies that "offer" that guarantee, as I think it's indicative of a company that likes to advertize something meaningless....

Now it's different for a company that guarantees a 10% better price... NOT a 10% of the difference in price.... which is negligable.

Now pro-source says they'll give you $100 if they can't price match.... sounds good doesn't it.... but all it is is a further protection for them that they do not have to price match something if their "loss" would be over $100.

They must be worried about something!!!!!

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MTN REMODEL LLC said:
Do these price match offers by some suppliers bother any one else but me.

I think big-deal.... I have to do all the shopping, and I find a better price .....and I have to get a written quote.... and GRATUITOUSLY they guarantee/offer to match that price.

Why the he11 would I give the higher price company my business... I'd give it to the party that was offering the best price.

Matter of fact, I actually stay away from companies that "offer" that guarantee, as I think it's indicative of a company that likes to advertize something meaningless....

Now it's different for a company that guarantees a 10% better price... NOT a 10% of the difference in price.... which is negligable.

Now pro-source says they'll give you $100 if they can't price match.... sounds good doesn't it.... but all it is is a further protection for them that they do not have to price match something if their "loss" would be over $100.

They must be worried about something!!!!!
I'm like you. Even more so when I tell them they are expensive and they then tell me that the price I see is cheaper than they buy it for. Yes or course it is. Everyone else is selling at a loss!

Reminds me of the time I bought home theater seating. Local company wanted $8500 for exactly the same seats I see online for $2200. I ordered online because they wouldn't even drop $1 as they said these were on sale and they were selling them at cost lol. I told this to the online guy and he started to tell me how much mark up is on furniture at high street stores. He said lets put it this way. Your buying these seats for 1/4 what they want and I'm del them for free with white glove delivery and setup and I'm still making good money on them. He said they make anything from 600-3000% on the stuff they sell in the high street stores.

That sure opened my eyes to furniture stores.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I'm like you. Even more so when I tell them they are expensive and they then tell me that the price I see is cheaper than they buy it for. Yes or course it is. Everyone else is selling at a loss!

Reminds me of the time I bought home theater seating. Local company wanted $8500 for exactly the same seats I see online for $2200. I ordered online because they wouldn't even drop $1 as they said these were on sale and they were selling them at cost lol. I told this to the online guy and he started to tell me how much mark up is on furniture at high street stores. He said lets put it this way. Your buying these seats for 1/4 what they want and I'm del them for free with white glove delivery and setup and I'm still making good money on them. He said they make anything from 600-3000% on the stuff they sell in the high street stores.

That sure opened my eyes to furniture stores.
BC...^^^^^ Could not agree more with ya....

When I'm on my own dime (and for others when price sensative), I've had great luck with Internet suppliers. Site delivery timely (yes I have to order in advance)... and product as advertized...

I'm sure I will get bit sometime.... but with paypal and CC protections, and able to print out the internet specs as evidence.... I feel better/equally protected as a personel pickup......

I take back/qualify the above a little..... I have learned to really check out the shipping box carefully on delivery... shipper's Fup on a center island exhaust fan... I was able to fix....or could have returned it and had to wait redeliver.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts