Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Forming and Framing
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
as the title may suggest. I am in the process of designing my new garage at home.. I need to apply for permits and i am hoping to use sketchup to do the plans. I can draw no problem, but i need help with A, labelling and putting text and descriptions in the plans and B printing them.. no necessarily to scale but just getting them on paper.
Any help is appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
do you have "layout"? it came with my sketchup and I think you can use it to size your sheet and layout your drawings for print. more easily you can export or save "2d view" and it will save a shot of whatever your look at. for this type of thing you'll want to be in parallel projection view vs perspective view. making plans in sketchup is a dirty habit so don't do it too often! youtube should have tutorials on labeling that you can watch step by step.

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
I assume you are using the "Free" version of Sketchup? If so, download the trial of the "Pro" version which comes with Layout which works with Sketchup. The rest is pretty self explanatory. Play around with it and you will understand how it works.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Have you been to the city and asked what their permit requirements are? They might have requirements as far as what size paper to use, or if you need a framing plan, foundation plan, sections, site plan, storm drain path, engineering required. If you want to do it on sketch up, find a copy center near by that can print on whatever size paper they require, they might want a 24"x36". I never got very good with sketch up, but it think there's a text tool you click when you're in 2d mode. Did you find where to click to switch to 2d?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts