Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a water based primer that will bite to semigloss. Yes we will sand first but it is a residential building and i do not want to risk 1 the fumes and 2 someone rubbing against it.
Thanks

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Can anyone recommend a water based primer that will bite to semigloss. Yes we will sand first but it is a residential building and i do not want to risk 1 the fumes and 2 someone rubbing against it.
Thanks
Not your question, but have you tried paints that bond to oil directly? I'm using Interlok by McCormick Paints. A regional brand and it's super stuff. Just have to clean the surfaces. Great for doors, too.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All great info thanks, yes the insl-x is a product i have used in the past and always forget about it, thankyou

·
Registered
269 Posts
priming over oil

Glidden gripper. Like you I used to shun their products until an old painter buddy of mine turned me on to the gripper. Used to paint apartments years ago to fill in and the pm bought nothing but Glidden. Lot of rerolling walls back then but they have improved a bunch. As Ive stated before you cant pull gripper off with a front end loader. As always prep is key. Will stick to plastic galv you name it. Good stuff in a lot of apps.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
I've been a fan of the Gripper ever since someone turned me on to it. But from what I've experienced, any quality oil based primer will take either paint as long as you scrape off anything that is loose or peeling.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am sorry i am priming over semigloss oil. I just read my question and left out that very important drtail. Is glidden gripper stil the go to product? Or should i just go with the insl-x?

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
The only way I go over oil base if the topcoat is going to be water base is I prime it with oil base. If you choose water base you have to dull the gloss.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay as i read everones input its got me thinking; what about just rubbing on a degreaser? Do you guys think i can go over the old oil semi gloss with just the degreaser and then paint with latex or degreaser to eliminate sanding then prime. Ultimately i know choice 2 is the best but in the interest of saving time i am just wondering if the degreaser by itself would work.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Okay as i read everones input its got me thinking; what about just rubbing on a degreaser? Do you guys think i can go over the old oil semi gloss with just the degreaser and then paint with latex or degreaser to eliminate sanding then prime. Ultimately i know choice 2 is the best but in the interest of saving time i am just wondering if the degreaser by itself would work.
Degreaser won't work, they sell liquid de-glossers but they aren't always effective. You're looking for adhesion, to get that you want to dull the gloss. Water base primers that claim to stick to glossy surfaces will stick but only to an extent.

There's no way to properly do it without dulling if you're going to use a water base product regardless of what it is. The other question is how old is the oil base? It may contain lead.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thankyou for that, no i dought it contains lead it was definetly painted within the last 4 or 5 years.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think i am just going to go with a light sanding with 150 grit. Prime with the behr gripper and 2 coats latex ben semigloss.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts