Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to start by thanking whoever it was that recommended GARDZ to me. Put it on the last job before skimcoating 2 small rooms and the skimcoat went on really easy because of it. Then GARDZ again and put on 3 coats of paint since no color primer. Came out great, they liked it so much they want me to skimcoat and do at least 1 other small bedroom already and probably some more rooms. Along with the ceiling though, which I hate doing. But eating is a good thing, so I can deal with it :)

It kind of surprised me when I poured it out of the can the first time, and made a huge mess. Wasn't expecting it to be so runny. Took a little while to get to use without making a mess or getting it on myself while doing the ceiling. I also sure don't see the "blue" in it before it dries, looks clear all the time to me. Regardless, I love the stuff.

You will most likely never get rid of me now, which I why I am back with another question. The other room I need to do is in really tough shape because they removed some wall cabinets or something and found different colors on the wall behind it, some paper got torn off, etc etc.. I can skimcoat it pretty easy but since the gardz is clear I am worried if even with 3 coats the color may be different in some areas? Will 1 coat of primer and 2 coats of finish be any better than just 3 coats of finish? Didn't want to waste the money on a tinted primer for it if I didn't have to.. Would a generic color primer be a good idea? Grey or something like that? Product recommendations? Finish coat will be BM aquavelvet again.

Got another primer question for ya too.. I need to do 2 closets and the ceiling in that room, they have removed a texture in both and the ceiling and a lot of paper is showing through. Will be retextured so I am not worried about getting it 100% smooth, but after I GARDZ it and skimcoat it to level it out before the texture a lot of dark brown paper is going to be showing through and I am worried about that showing through the textured compound, need I guess just a flat white primer? Any product recommendations for this? Any chance that plain white primer would be good for the question above about this?

Thanks again so much

·
Registered
69 Posts
Agree with Exroadog. Using one coat of tinted primer, in this case, is the best option -not only does it guarantee coverage, but also uniformity of the finish sheen.

As for the closets and ceiling, IMO, while having doubts I would applied a coat of white primer to them, preferably alkyd, as the primer will effectively seal/hide and harden the shown brown papers, which could be sanded off easily with 80-grit afterwards if needed. However I would do the priming and sanding before the skimcoating..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I was basically wondering if another coat of finish would be any different than a primer. The wall will be primed with GARDZ over the skimcoat like before and I had no problems, but this room has different colored areas. I will have plenty of paint to apply another finish coat if needed.

Don't want to have to charge them for primer if it won't do anything better than another coat of the finish that I will already have.

As for the ceiling, they are already primed with GARDZ so the paper is all sealed. I guess just a flat white primer would be a good idea since they don't want the texture painted. They are pretty hung up on me using BM products for some reason, so I will probably use the Freshstart. Will the stainblocking freshstart have any benefit in this application?

Thanks

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
Since you'll allready have a coat of guardz on the walls after the skimcoat, you should be fine to do two topcoats over that. The only place it sounds like you'll need a primer is on the ceiling. In order to make it appear white, and have the texture hold up good, use a good quality white primer, and once the texture is on, it should come out looking good. :Thumbs:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts