Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fall is here and that means cars. How do you choose and buy the right type of primers, sealers and guns? The first gun I like are gracos pressure fed Delta spray, this gun is the best I have ever used. The next thing is the primer you want to use epx 904 by ppg is a good one. It is the cross over from dp 40 or 50. Instead of 200$ a gallon it closer to fiffty. I started my boothe today the fans came up and I forgot how much I hated painting in a boothe. I hate painting

·
Banned
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
panderson2414

bulldog I do every thing on line and upfront. I could not reply to you. I like pots. We run two and a half gallon pots with a primer that has three day pot life.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
bulldog I do every thing on line and upfront. I could not reply to you. I like pots. We run two and a half gallon pots with a primer that has three day pot life.
3 day pot life epoxy:eek: cool!

Do you bake to get it to kick on the car?

·
Master Blaster!
188 Posts
Not saying its impossible but Ive never heard of a pot life that long on that style coating. We run a 2 gall pressure pot and cheap harbor freight gun, spray at least 8 hrs a day. My brother in law paints so I don't have alot to do with it, can't say im upset. We go through tons of thinner for clean up and its really a pain in the ass.

·
Banned
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
panderson2414

Took me a while to get back. I do have three kids. I am a family man and I dont like it when I dont have time to answer and someone thinks Im full of ****. PPGs epx primer was introduce to open up a market for commercial and ag. It is a two component polyamide primer with a three day pot life. My rep Tom flemming based in Mankato Mn at Aim Auto. Is a rep that supplies my paint operations in the non lucartive months. I would not want to be the guy who doubts me. I am not on here to type I am here to help. This is not shop talk here say this is put car though the shop on an every day basis to make money. If there is stll primer left in the pot it should not kick for three days til the next body panel

·
Banned
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
panderson2414

mandan if you are on you call me right now. Im pretty well ****ed up but if you are going to be in the north dakotas. We need to talk now, you and I 1-507-208-1862.

Everyone else {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ This number has been on the web for some time. Dont call unless you NEED me

·
Banned
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
panderson2414

Ibesocal, I have it all wrong I should come out to the coasts and blast. Screw the cold I could set up shop in the warm climates and build world renown street rods and boats. I am in the wrong climate.

·
Banned
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
panderson2414

I sprayed in twenty a mile wind today. The paint on the tank was less than half. I had to do it the cold is here. I have a forty foot lift rented at so much a month, when you got to work you have to even at a 40% loss of paint. We had to.pa We have to do it again tomorro the wind tommoro is at 7 to10

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
3 day pot life epoxy:eek: cool!

Do you bake to get it to kick on the car?

Hey Pan man..don't rue me, for I did not doubt you...

Thanks for the info... I do some hotrod stuff, and will definitely find my ppg dealer next time:thumbsup:

·
Master Blaster!
188 Posts
Sorry Paul fell asleep early last night so I missed your message, I will try to call you at the end of the day as im sure your busy. I am going to make a switch to this style primer if I can. We waste hundreds of dollars worth of primer a month due to this pot issue and the complexity of the peices we are blasting and painting. I wasn't doubting you one bit Paul, I have asked my local paint guy for something with a better pot life and he claimed that he couldn't get anything better than what im using. Working a great deal to blast and paint pipe in my shop, oil fields are busy now and should be for years. Need to find a niche in that market to keep my shop runnin solid. Outside work has come to a stop more or less. Paul how do you know where that paint that is in the air is going? Overspray has been a ****ing nightmare for us this summer. We painted 4 30x11 tanks early this summer and had horrible overspray on some trucks that were parked over 3 blocks away. The wind was light but it carried a small amount of overspray onto those trucks. Funny thing is that our trucks were parked in front of theirs about a block and ours weren't sprayed, wind carried it up into the air and straight down on the trucks 3 blocks away! We have been reluctant about spraying in any wind what so ever. thanks.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Don't try to spray everything. Tanks can easily be rolled. Cheaper than cleaning a bunch of cars up.

·
Banned
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
panderson2414

3m cleaner clay. It saved me thousands before I switched to dry fall. If you want a wet look with dry fall switch to Highland.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts