Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.. Im doing a commercial vinyl job. Previous wallpaper isn't being removed(against my advice) so I need recommendations for best primer to apply to the old wallpapered walls. Would 2 coats of r35 be good enough? Previous wallpaper is in good shape.
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Need to know type of existing paper. If it's vinyl over vinyl, VOV adhesive no priming needed.
Some rooms vinyl some not. Hanging 54inch with vov seems like it'd be a pain in the ass, no?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I am not a commercial paper hanger, residential only. I would be thinking twice on hanging over old paper, i have done it and never been satisfied. Never ever again! I know you said you advised them not to. The problem i see becomes "i said not to but went ahead and done it anyway". But got to feed the family.

To be honest is putting primer over the old paper really going to make a difference? Does the new paper have to be pasted and allowed to book? some commercials do and some don't as i understand it, if not then VOV direct to the wall may be an option.
I think hanging over vinyl will be a pain in the a$$ as only vov will stick to it.
I know Roman will say do not dilute vov.
Good luck on this one, have good contract language addressing no warranty.

·
This space for lease
5,323 Posts
You have to figure out the best way to do the job. If they don't want to to it your way then leave it alone and let someone else absorb their problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You have to figure out the best way to do the job. If they don't want to to it your way then leave it alone and let someone else absorb their problems.
I agree in principle, do it right or not at all. Would prefer the walls be stripped, prepped properly, and then I hang paper. I have told the gc that is the right way to go but he is trying to save time and money.. I'm willing to hang over the old paper, just looking for advice on primer I should use to ensure the new paper doesn't pull the old stuff off.

·
This space for lease
5,323 Posts
I agree in principle, do it right or not at all. Would prefer the walls be stripped, prepped properly, and then I hang paper. I have told the gc that is the right way to go but he is trying to save time and money.. I'm willing to hang over the old paper, just looking for advice on primer I should use to ensure the new paper doesn't pull the old stuff off.
I understand. You are willing to help the GC save a buck and are willing to eat it if it goes wrong. I never accept work like that, one time will hurt. I run my business, nobody else.

It's always risky to do new work over old work without doing the proper prep work. Wallpaper fails at some point, when the bottom layer fails, and covering it might facilitate it, then the top layer is going with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understand. You are willing to help the GC save a buck and are willing to eat it if it goes wrong. I never accept work like that, one time will hurt. I run my business, nobody else.

It's always risky to do new work over old work without doing the proper prep work. Wallpaper fails at some point, when the bottom layer fails, and covering it might facilitate it, then the top layer is going with it.
I hear ya.. Hate to walk away from a big job and potentially good contact for future business. If I can find a way to do it without a major problem Id like to. I have been clear that I'm not responsible if there is a failure of the underlying paper. I'm not doing the prep on the walls, they are. I'm just hanging the paper. I do see your point tho.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
To prevent the new paste from loosening up the old paper I would suggest priming over the old paper with SW Shellac primer. But then that may prevent the paste from gripping. This is one of those situations where you solve one problem and create another.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
I'm not doing the prep on the walls, they are. I'm just hanging the paper.

Priming is prep, so if you're not taking responsibility for failure of the underlying wallpaper, well you kind of are seeing that you're choosing the primer and applying it.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Yes I prefer it over R35, I think the 977 grips the paper better once seams are matched and I am smoothing out the paper, maybe it is my imagination. Commercial has to be a different kettle of fish than residential though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes I prefer it over R35, I think the 977 grips the paper better once seams are matched and I am smoothing out the paper, maybe it is my imagination. Commercial has to be a different kettle of fish than residential though.
I've always used r35 for residential.. Maybe I'll give 977 a try.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts