Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am using Dynaflex 230 50-year latex caulk on new and existing door casings. I am using Zinser Cover Stain water based primer over the casings and new caulk and am having a problem. As the primer dries, it cracks over the new caulk. As a test, I have allowed the caulk to dry for up to a week so I know the caulk is cured and not continuing to shrink. The cracking gives an alligator skin look just on the new caulk, not the surrounding wood. I notice it more if I thin the primer with water or Floetrol. If the primer is uncut it doesn't seem as bad. But unthinned, and the stuff dries so fast I get nasty brush marks which require sanding before topcoating. Any ideas on this one? Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. The Dynaflex 230 is a white caulk, not clear. And it is paintable. I always prime before caulking like you mentioned. The only thing I can figure is that the primer doesn't like the Floetrol maybe. Anyone out there thin their primer?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, yes I have tried it unthinned as well as thinned. Same result, extensive cracking. Just yesterday, I tried a completely different brand of primer over the same caulking (Dynaflex) and so far so good. The new primer is labeled as a latex acrylic primer, whereas the Zinser is labeled 100% acrylic. I'm thinking that maybe 100% acrylic is harder, or more brittle, than a primer labeled latex/acrylic. I will see how the new primer holds out for a couple days before declaring success....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.