Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am laying Armstrong VCT over 3/8 ply, which is over 3/4 T&G. I patched some rough areas with a cement-based patch (Henry brand). Should I prime these areas with a primer of some sort or will it be ok if I don't?

I will be using Henry 430 commercial vct adhesive, unless it's crap? First time doing VCT for me.

·
Registered
475 Posts
The standard residential cement patch product sets up MUCH MUCH MUCH faster than you can reasonably work the material productively to actually IMPROVE the substrate. Usually it will harden in the mixing pail before you can blink. It's F'n ridiculous.

So.....without YEARS, if not a LIFETIME of floor prep experience if you mix it the way they specify you will basically NEVER be able to get that **** out of the pail and fix the issues UNLESS you water the piss out of it in DIRECT contradiction to the instructions.

How STRICTLY did you measure and follow the specific manufacturer's mixing ratio?

If you were even close......congratulations. You should be able to smear the clear thin spread with no primer.

If you watered the piss out of it......YEAH, think about some kind of primer. One way we "prime" or deal with extremely porous substrates is to back trowel the SAME glue, let it set and then use the correct notch over that. You can also use a paint roller to "prime" before and then put a second coat prior to laying the tile.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Patch additive, no primer
Yes, I recall the additive is mentioned in the instructions as an option to mixing with straight water.

Am I correct? We don't use Henry's patch but it's what Home Depot stocks so I've used it half a dozen times or so over the last 10-15 years on side jobs in a pinch. I recall using additive last go-around but it was a laminate install so there was no thought about primers and adhesive.

The Henry 430 clear thin spread is a very good VCT glue.........as good as any others more or less. It would be extremely rare that I ever considered priming my patch.

Then again we would not be using patch off the shelf of a big bog store mixed with water.

If we use the Webcrete 95 it WILL be mixed with additive------primed before the first coat and between coats AND over the last coat for higher end flooring------not VCT, carpet tile or glue down carpet.

So all that extra work and ridiculous hassle is WHY the Ardex Feather Finish is worth it's price. No primer before in normal circumstances, no additive, no primer between coats and no primer before the adhesive.

For crying out loud you have to be a F'n retard not to see the savings in labor and quality------or you just don't CARE about installations and installers because you subcontract out the installation. If you do the work yourself or pay employees you HAVE to work with Ardex products.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I misread, the op was asking after patching to prime, I would say that is ok because the primer being a latex is compatible with the VCT adhesive, all Henry products are good. Ardex owns Henry, but yes Feather Finish far surpasses any thin patch on the market and has for the past 20 years.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Feather Finish is the only patch I use for precisely the reasons BKM mentions above. Pot life is incredible compared to anything else. Not to mention I can get it baby's ass smooth on the first or second pass on anything but very deep stuff. I can skim with it so well most of the time there is no need to run a scraper over it. It also goes measurably farther and cleans up a lot easier. Why anyone wouldn't use it is beyond me.

·
Registered
810 Posts
If it's that Uni-Pro stuff they have, don't bother priming. There is so much dry spray polymer in that stuff you could do body work with it. Heck, just try to get it off a trowel when it's dried. hehe

What I do with patch is beat the crap out of it with a mixing paddle, but never get it any thicker than pancake batter. You should be able to pour it out of a bucket. Just make sure you beat the living crap out of it. This gets those drying agents working right away. Then just jump on the floor and haul butt, because you don't have much time. If it starts to get stiff in the bucket, you can beat it up again and get a few more minutes, but don't add water. I like a 2 gallon bucket. It's the perfect size and amount for me. Plani is my favorite, but I'll admit that the Henry Uni-Pro is a better product in terms of polymer content. It's right up there with feather finish.

·
Registered
810 Posts
BTW: if you're into these ridiculously over-engineered patching compounds (like FF), you should give CMP's Prep Star a try. They sell it in flour bags like FF, but it's even tougher than FF. The stuff is like Bondo. I don't use it because I don't have anything to prove to the floor, hehe, but if you're into godawful strong patch, it's pretty impressive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.