Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, i have been in the hvac, and plumbing industry for about ten years, i am slowly in the process of going out on my own, my question is giving customers fair pricing, but at the same time dont want to lose money in the process. Although i realize contractors keep pricing to themselves is there anyone who can give me some information on this matter, or maybe a proper formula i could use to give fair pricing, or maybe a place i could go and find this information out., thank-you

·
Registered
52 Posts
The biggest dis-service we can give our customers is to charge them by the hour. If you want some tips on up front pricing I will be glad to help.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Flate Rate ? Date Rape ? Almost sounds the same huh, I have been in business for many years and have made a great living at it, never charged a flat rate.

Be careful how you bill and do not be afraid to give est, you will never make every customer happy, you end up losing a few and gaining many.

Not sure of your area, and what aspects of this business that you are going into, but ask around or join a a group of others in the field and ask. A few of us often go out for breakfast twice a month which is a great bull session and trade off parts and labor.
Works out great, we find out who has the best price for whatever and who needs help. Often the labor and est priceing come up and we compare notes.

See if you can maybe get a small group like this together, you will be suprised at what you may find out.

Bernie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks steve wiggins

Steve Wiggins said:
The biggest dis-service we can give our customers is to charge them by the hour. If you want some tips on up front pricing I will be glad to help.
tahnks for your reply, and would appreciate some insight, you could email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
to bjd

Bjd said:
Flate Rate ? Date Rape ? Almost sounds the same huh, I have been in business for many years and have made a great living at it, never charged a flat rate.

Be careful how you bill and do not be afraid to give est, you will never make every customer happy, you end up losing a few and gaining many.

Not sure of your area, and what aspects of this business that you are going into, but ask around or join a a group of others in the field and ask. A few of us often go out for breakfast twice a month which is a great bull session and trade off parts and labor.
Works out great, we find out who has the best price for whatever and who needs help. Often the labor and est priceing come up and we compare notes.

See if you can maybe get a small group like this together, you will be suprised at what you may find out.

Bernie
I dont know about the group thing alot of the contractors ive talked to already have confused the hell out of me, i get ten different answers from all of them, ive seen you on here before and and have to say you are pretty knowledgable about alot of things, so if maybe you could give me a little more info in how you estimate or quote, i would appreciate it, like i said i dont want to screw the customer or myself. oh by the way im in the pennsylvania area, and im going into plumbing and heating, would like to also get into service work, obviously i will service what i sell, but thats only a fraction of whats out there.. thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts