Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was surprised to see just how many users are looking for advice on pricing. After a quick search I found over 600 topics that were closed because a user asked for help on the topic. I must admit, I too made the same mistake in the past - though I didn't realize that I was blaspheming the industry. In my case i was quickly referred to as "lazy" before the moderator even had the chance to close my post. I can assure you that I am not lazy. I am not trying find an easy way to undercut competitors and win jobs and I'm sure that most of the 600 other users looking for pricing advice are not out to screw all of you guys either. Some suggest that it is simply too hard to determine the cost of someone else's project. If you think that is the case then don't try. But I know there are many people who would be willing to try.

I am proposing that ContractorTalk add a new discussion forum dedicated specifically to the topic of pricing. Redirecting users to "Pricing, Estimating, And Success" is great but a dedicated forum would be so much more useful. I don't think these questions should be shunned. Given the demand, I really think that ContractorTalk would benefit from the addition of another useful forum.

Just my two cents. This post will probably be closed before anyone sees it anyway;)

Thanks,
Joel

Attachments

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
Price comparisons won't work for the simple fact that CL (cost of living) numbers (correlates to price of labor) and regulatory mandates (Example - permit costs) vary widely depending on what part of the country you live in. A deck in California is going to cost a lot more than a deck in South Carolina. Can I charge $30/sf for a deck in SC? No. Will I make money charging $15/sf in California? No. Same job, but one is twice the price. Plus things like the PITA factor. No two jobs are the same, therefore no two prices are the same.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,802 Posts
In before the lock. :)

I recently had a project that I had no idea how to price. I got great advice from the members here & submitted my bid based on the pricing information that was shared on the open forum for all to see & my thread wasn't locked.

Course, I didn't ask for a dollar amount. I didn't ask anyone else to figure my materials. What I did ask for, was how many hours it would take to complete my project, based on my drawings. I know my overhead & how much I need to make an hour, I was just struggling with how many hours.

I agree with the policy of no pricing topics based on dollar amounts. Too many variables to give accurate information. But time & materials used, is universal & many here are willing to help other members figure out those 2 variable if asked.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Questions about pricing methods are allowed, just not hard numbers.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
IMHO,there are some really good estimating manuals out there to aid one get a handle on pricing that may be a tad out of their normal scope. They have geographic adjustment aspects to allow one to be rather site specific. I have been using the R.S.Means manuals now for close to 40 yrs.,have had great success with them.

My suggestion,if one is not clear on a price point,get as familiar as possible with a good manual,that is what the big guys do.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Course, I didn't ask for a dollar amount. I didn't ask anyone else to figure my materials. What I did ask for, was how many hours it would take to complete my project, based on my drawings. I know my overhead & how much I need to make an hour, I was just struggling with how many hours.
Good advice pinwheel.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"I impersonated a contractor last night and went on-line and asked about pricing. You are way too high with your estimate".

This scenario would begin the day pricing questions are allowed.
Good point. I guess this would be an issue. Didn't think of that.

·
Registered
352 Posts
It always bothered me that the moderators here do not allow pricing threads.
If we are all pros, we should be talking about that. It's the most important part of any construction business

Nothing worse than a contractor underbidding a job. I'd bet more than half the guys that post here underbid work. It hurts everyone. It hurts us pros, it hurts the homeowners as well.

If you're building a deck in S.Carolina, it shouldn't be too far off of California pricing. The S Carolina guy definitely shouldn't be half.
Besides, even if there was a huge difference, the S. Carolina guy can't even get
S Carolina pricing here with the no ask, no tell policy.

I'm all for a forum on pricing. Lets let the homeowners that come on here see some realistic numbers for a change.

You know like a bathroom is worth 20-30
A kitchen 35 and up. Sometimes way up.

Not that BS they see on TV.

There's my 2 cents.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
10,711 Posts
It always bothered me that the moderators here do not allow pricing threads.
If we are all pros, we should be talking about that. It's the most important part of any construction business

Nothing worse than a contractor underbidding a job. I'd bet more than half the guys that post here underbid work. It hurts everyone. It hurts us pros, it hurts the homeowners as well.

If you're building a deck in S.Carolina, it shouldn't be too far off of California pricing. The S Carolina guy definitely shouldn't be half.
Besides, even if there was a huge difference, the S. Carolina guy can't even get
S Carolina pricing here with the no ask, no tell policy.

I'm all for a forum on pricing. Lets let the homeowners that come on here see some realistic numbers for a change.

You know like a bathroom is worth 20-30
A kitchen 35 and up. Sometimes way up.

Not that BS they see on TV.

There's my 2 cents.

Bob
It has nothing to do with the moderators. I understood why it wasn't allowed on here way before I became a mod. Amazes me that there are still some here who feel there is a need/benefit to discussing pricing.

The underbidders are underbidding for many reasons. Most of them do not share the burdens of being legit like the rest of us. They are not, never have been, and never will be my competition. I have no sympathy for any homewoner who chooses to use a guy who gave them a price substantially lower then the rest of the field.

·
Super Moderator
11,332 Posts
I was surprised to see just how many users are looking for advice on pricing. After a quick search I found over 600 topics that were closed because a user asked for help on the topic. I must admit, I too made the same mistake in the past - though I didn't realize that I was blaspheming the industry. In my case i was quickly referred to as "lazy" before the moderator even had the chance to close my post. I can assure you that I am not lazy. I am not trying find an easy way to undercut competitors and win jobs and I'm sure that most of the 600 other users looking for pricing advice are not out to screw all of you guys either. Some suggest that it is simply too hard to determine the cost of someone else's project. If you think that is the case then don't try. But I know there are many people who would be willing to try.

I am proposing that ContractorTalk add a new discussion forum dedicated specifically to the topic of pricing. Redirecting users to "Pricing, Estimating, And Success" is great but a dedicated forum would be so much more useful. I don't think these questions should be shunned. Given the demand, I really think that ContractorTalk would benefit from the addition of another useful forum.

Just my two cents. This post will probably be closed before anyone sees it anyway;)

Thanks,
Joel
I actually was thinking maybe we should make this a sticky thread just so people can read through and see why we don't allow
"How much should I charge?" or "What's the going rate?" threads. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
The big problem with priceing, nobody can know the cost of doing buissnes that the poster has, or site conditions, parking, soil, rock, half way up the hill, on top of the hill, i like that pricing is not allowed.

·
Kowboy
2,526 Posts
The moderators aren't being D*&ks. The Federal Trade Commission forbids collusion. If there is even a hint, just a smell, of collusion, Contractor Talk could be in big trouble. Look at it as the permanent red tag.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Besides location there is your reputation and name. I can get a high price for my work because I'm not hustling trying to stay busy I turn down plenty. My bids are all by gutt now anyways......Too many stupid people to try and bid by sq ft or even piece work for me. In my point in life I dont want hassles so I pick my jobs. Life is good

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
I actually was thinking maybe we should make this a sticky thread just so people can read through and see why we don't allow
Bad thing is the Sticky takes up the top and makes less room for threads without going to page 2

·
Registered
352 Posts
I don't see the need for sticky. I'm sure there're other threads on this subject that are just as "sticky worthy" as this one.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
13,068 Posts
You actually think new members are gonna take time and read the rules?

1 - 20 of 93 Posts