Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pricing your work??....oops sorry about that!

I am new to this board; really looks like a great site! I have had a one-man custom cabinet shop for about the last 3 years although I have been doing cabinets for over 30 years. One of the hardest things I do is pricing my work. Just about all of my jobs are one of a kind and I really don't have anything to compare it to. Anyone have any words of wisdom on how they price out custom cabinetry? Do you use a materials multiplier, hourly rate, etc.? I try to make my prices fair and make some money but I don't want to price myself out of the market either. Any ideas? Check my website for the type of things I have done. Thanks for any advise!

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,590 Posts
Andersons there are a few old threads on this site regarding how to price your work. We frown on trying to answer this question! Everyone wants, needs and earns different prices. Try searching the old threads (some are stickys - very good - and still available). If you have a more specific question we may be able to help. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
Andersons there are a few old threads on this site regarding how to price your work. We frown on trying to answer this question! Everyone wants, needs and earns different prices. Try searching the old threads (some are stickys - very good - and still available). If you have a more specific question we may be able to help. Good luck!
Andersons-Welcome to CT.

As DaVinciRemodel said, pricing is an off limits issue here. However, once we get to know you and you get up to the minimum posts required to send PM's, there are some great guys here that might be able to help you qualify your pricing for cabinetry.

Good luck and jump in wherever you can until then!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ooops, sorry about that; I'm new

Thanks guys for filling me in. Like I said, I am new to the board and I am sorry to get off on the wrong foot. I wasn't aware that it was a no no to discuss pricing; now I know. I will search through some of the old threads for any info. Thanks again for pointing this out.

·
Registered
194 Posts
What we have used in the past is a stock "custom" shop. Something like CWP (Custom Wood Products) Take their cabinets, roughly similar sized to what needs to be built, and add a certain percentage. This is used to get ballpark estimates to what it may cost, this pretty much covers material costs and labor.

We will also bid out a T&M job. But you also need to compare apples to apples. Our hourly price is higher than most shops in our area, but when you compare the speed and quality that things are done (Digital measurement on the panel saw, edgebander v. ironing, shop setup efficiency, carts and space to move and store material, etc) we can get work done faster, and far more accurately and precise than any other shop in the area, so it generally will come out close.

If you need a hard bid number, than its harder to come up with, a little of the two above examples, combined with experience of what things end up costing, and you should be able to hone it in pretty close.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Read the customer- & price as high as you can - I have been in business for almost 15 years... There are jobs you can make more than others, therefore market too your earning potential- Trojan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts