Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

How do you guys deal with unknown wood replacement when pricing your proposals?

• Give an open price on the proposal saying x ammount of wood will cost x dollars?

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • Call the owner out to look at the roof after you have ti all torn off?

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Skip wood replacement and just starting nailing the shingles?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys deal with unknown wood replacement when pricing your proposals?

Do you give an open price on the proposal saying x ammount of wood will cost x dollars?

Do you call the owner out to look at the roof after you have ti all torn off?

Do you skip wood replacement and just starting nailing the shingles?

U

·
0 Posts
I Just Tell The Customer That We Have To Wait Untill We Get The Roof Stripped Off Before Knowing How Much Wood Is To Be Replaced.i Then Tell Them Before We Start The Job That It Will Be 650.00 To Replace Each Sheet Of Rotted Wood Over Our Original Bid.that Way The Customer Isnt In For Any Surprises.

U

·
0 Posts
youre in the wrong roofing area.we get 650.00 per sheet 1/2 inch anything!

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well congratulations. There is no way in the Chicago residential roofing industry is anyone going to get over $120 for a sheet of wood. I know what my compitition charges and I know that the very highest end is $120.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Grumpy said:
Well congratulations. There is no way in the Chicago residential roofing industry is anyone going to get over $120 for a sheet of wood. I know what my compitition charges and I know that the very highest end is $120.
Grumpy, I think it's the same unregistered poster who thinks warranties are for the idiots. Given the level of expertise and knowledge shown by this poster, I don't think either you or I will find him (her? it?) much competition if we run across them in real life. You are dealing with reality, and the other is just blowing smoke.

·
Registered
328 Posts
At 650 a sheet I would sub out the roof and just come in to replace the wood. I charge about 30 for 1/2" CDX and labor

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
Considering a sheet of plywood is well under $10 and it takes about 15 minutes to remove a sheet (or partial) clean the rafters, cut and install the new piece, $30 is profitable, $100 bucks is gold, $650 and I don't believe you.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Since you pulled out an old thread Matt, I will respond in todays context.

The highest price I have ever seen listed on a competitors proposal was $ 4.00 per square foot, not identifying if it was OSB, 3-ply cdx, or 4-ply cdx, which was on an HD proposal from about 7 years ago on a job I acquired.

My current pricing is at $ 2.00 per square foot, for the better cdx choice, whether for R & R or for skip sheathing overlay.

Also, the unit price for a 1" x 6" starts at $ 3.50 per lineal foot, R & R, with the price per board lineal foot increasing proportionately with the larger sized boards. Although, per APA standards for reducing expansion and contraction, no larger than a 1" x 6" should be installed when butted together to create a solid deck surface.

Coincidently, does anyone here realize that the specification for overlaying cdx on top of the original skip sheathing, is to install it in the vertical direction, rather than the horizontal direction. I'm not saying I accept their ideology for that method, but that is what the specs regarding this circumstance dictate. Does this make anyone else here want to scream B.S. to that!!!

Ed

·
Registered
328 Posts
Ed,
How do you install horizontal or vertical? I've always installed it horizontal what is the reasoning for installing it vertical?

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
MattP,

Although the plywood specs on that one say to install the sheathing vertical, I have never, ever, seen anyone do it that way including our company.

The document I recieved was from Certainteed, which referenced some APA specification.

Their theory, if I remember correctly, was that it would diminish the amount of expansion of the joints by not being parallel to the direction of the previously installed skip sheathing.

When we install sheathing on top of the existing board decking, we snap chalk lines exactly center on the existing rafters, so that the nails penetrate through the existing 1" x ?"'s. Possibly, where I see most companies just nailing so that they hit the previous 1" bys, it may make some sense, but I really don't see how.

Ed

·
Engineer/GC
53 Posts
More money

We used to charge $45/ sheet, but we lost money. The plywood isn't much, but is holds up other progress. We are changing to $65/sheet.

Another roofer gave me the BEST idea I have heard.

When one section of the roof is stripped, the wood needing replacement is numbered in bright orange landscaper's spray paint, large numbers about 12 - 18 inches tall. We take a quick digital pic showing all the numbered sheets still on the deck. A Polaroid would work well too.
We replace the sheets & take another quick digital pic to verify the correct sheets were replaced & the numbers are gone.
We tell the homeowners about this policy ahead of time & they usually don't understand, but after they see the pics, they are very happy, it is totally obvious the work we did.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When one section of the roof is stripped, the wood needing replacement is numbered in bright orange landscaper's spray paint, large numbers about 12 - 18 inches tall. We take a quick digital pic showing all the numbered sheets still on the deck. A Polaroid would work well too.
We replace the sheets & take another quick digital pic to verify the correct sheets were replaced & the numbers are gone.
I had to do that once on a government funded job. It was wirtten into the spec.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts