Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally do residential work, but need to submit an estimate for a self storage facility. It's roughly 68,000 square feet of concrete that needs cleaning. If I calculate my average driveway price to come up with a square foot price, I'm unsure how much to reduce it do to the sheer size of the job. I'm trying to use the "buying in bulk" logic to price it compared to a 1000 sq ft double driveway for instance. Any advise would be appreciated, I want to be fair, make some money, yet not be underbid either. Thanks!

·
Eater of sins.
4,675 Posts
Of those three criteria that you mentioned, being "fair" is the least of them.

"Fair" is an extremely subjective term.

Now, "make some money" is the idea to shoot for. The only one actually.

If you are underbid then just say to yourself, "Self! That azzhole that just underbid me will probably end up loosing his shirt, his girl friend, his kids (no wife, this is Florida after all), his dog and his tools."

Hope this helps.

Andy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I suppose it does. I have a price in mind that I believe to be decent based on the time I'll have invested and the minimal costs that I'll incur.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Well I suppose it does. I have a price in mind that I believe to be decent based on the time I'll have invested and the minimal costs that I'll incur.
Yep then go with that.

·
Registered
94 Posts
i new so its just my opinion

"buying in bulk"

the only thing i can guess you would save is time of travel and gas money .... other then that the cost to wash the place is the same NO?

Quote: Originally Posted by yzfmik View Post

Yep then go with that.

sounds like a plan

·
Registered
27 Posts
I normally do residential work, but need to submit an estimate for a self storage facility. It's roughly 68,000 square feet of concrete that needs cleaning. If I calculate my average driveway price to come up with a square foot price, I'm unsure how much to reduce it do to the sheer size of the job. I'm trying to use the "buying in bulk" logic to price it compared to a 1000 sq ft double driveway for instance. Any advise would be appreciated, I want to be fair, make some money, yet not be underbid either. Thanks!
Do you have a surface cleaner? How many GPMs is your PW?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wouldn't reduce it one bit. Homeowners are cheap. This is commercial. I bet your residential rate pretty low.

·
Jon Samson
14 Posts
Chemicals, fuel and maintenance will all stay the same per square foot. What changes is time for set up and roll up savings, and once you are set up you spend less time on it.

You should charge less than residential, your saving time and your final check will be bigger even if your labor per square foot is smaller.

Take it a bit further, think also in terms of a maintenance contract. Break it down as an initial one time cleaning, but offer a bi-annual, quarterly, monthly cleaning prices also. By offering this contract, then you can discount some more the initial cleaning as a rebate after completing so much of the contract cleaning or such. This way if they try to stiff you on the contract overall you will still have your money for the initial cleaning.

Add some other bonus into the Monthly or quarterly cleanings, like you will clean so many buildings, after so many monthly cleanings, or the office, or the curbs and parking curbs, sidewalks, things like that.

Think bigger than just the one cleaning. Also find out if there is any associations for this business, is it a franchise? They have meetings, see about getting a demo to offer to other franchise owners in your coverage area and grow from there.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
I don't know much about how professional power washers operate but I know what my storage unit is like and I know what my power washer is like. That caused me to wounder if aces to water needs to be taken into consideration.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Your first thing is to visualize in your mind how long do you think you can do 68k square feet? Then you would want to figure... How much Gas, Travel time, and labor do I have to shell out?

Then figure out how much you want for yourself.

Plus I would factor in Scheduling, any obstacles, and if you need to get extra equipment.

Hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
yzfmik said:
Are you busy with residential work? Why work for less? If I need a thousand a day gross income to prosper I CANT work for anything else. Do you know your numbers well enough to figure an average daily NET PROFIT?

·
Registered
191 Posts
i get what your saying but there's a lot of good feedback here..

Figure out your sq ft price and use that and verify it with how many man hours it will take you to do the job.

Factor in such things as obstacles, materials, etc that you may need to work around.

Dont sell your self your short!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts