Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I just recently started my renovation business about 6 months ago and so far its been alright. Now it's starting to pick up since i've been networking with alot of different people.

I am about to price a job which is mainly based on labour costs.

To refinish hardwood
Tile a bathroom and shower
Tile a kitchen

I am wondering for those who have been doing this for years, how do i find my rates for those 3 jobs? and is it a good idea to do jobs that are just "labour"??I am starting out and it keeps my overhead low. what are your thoughts?

i'm open to all opinions and suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
Hey Reno-Welcome

Just a protocol note. On this site, please do an intro (in the intro section) and tell a little bit about your business, how long, etc.

Edit-PS. If you fill out your profile including area, it will help you in getting help from this forum.

·
Registered
254 Posts
To refinish hardwood
Tile a bathroom and shower
Tile a kitchen
Your contractor is probably the best place to get these answers, but I'm always happy to help homeowners with their projects. To refinish your floors, your contractor should charge about $1000 for his labor. To tile a bath and shower, if he wants more than $400 he's ripping you off. If you're providing the materials, $300 is plenty for him to tile the kitchen.

It looks like you are providing all the materials, I'd consult with your contractor first to make sure you get the correct materials.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Zinsco, I think he said he is the contractor. When your starting out, sometimes you just have to go with a price that will be good for you and the homeowner but you know you can get the job(kinda lowball but not really). It will also teach you your market. Sometimes you will give a decent price and still not get the job, those kinda of people are looking for a crappy, cheap job anyway. Don't worry about those, You might have to do this a bit and before you know it you will be able to price jobs easily, get the job and be profitable(practice makes perfect).

David
Emerald Coast Deluxe Services LLC
Destin, Fl

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
Destin Handyman,

Once you have been around this forum for a few weeks you will see the method behind the madness.

Zinsco doesn't need any advice. He was just guarding the front door of this site. (We newer posters try to step in to help the mods with their un-ending task of verifying if they have business being here or if they are just homeowners asking for pricing) The mods have to be a little more tactful than us and I think they depend on us to ask the "set-up" questions to qualify new posters as legitimate. (Mods if I am wrong or out of bounds here, please correct me)

When someone with a post count of 1 enters the forum and asks a pricing question, he is usually hazed a little with the "tree-fiddy" answer. He is then usually asked a few qualifying questions by posters to see how he responds.

In case you haven't noticed, the OP of this thread falls right into this category and seems to have disappeared for now.

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
Zinsco, I think he said he is the contractor. When your starting out, sometimes you just have to go with a price that will be good for you and the homeowner but you know you can get the job(kinda lowball but not really). It will also teach you your market. Sometimes you will give a decent price and still not get the job, those kinda of people are looking for a crappy, cheap job anyway. Don't worry about those, You might have to do this a bit and before you know it you will be able to price jobs easily, get the job and be profitable(practice makes perfect).

David
Emerald Coast Deluxe Services LLC
Destin, Fl

David,

Do you really think this guy sounds like he's qualified to refinish a hardwood floor? :blink:

Everyone starts somewhere, I get that. But just because you feel qualified does not mean that you are. Maybe he just had a bad first post. Maybe he is qualified to do the work he's asking about. My guess is that he feels handy and wants to remodel for a living. He's in over his head and is looking for answers on the internet. :whistling

Yes, I may be wrong but I'll tell ya, we see guys like this pop in here daily. MOST, never return. Some do nothing but start throwing their e-muscles around defending themselves and very, very few actually turn out to be legit. Until Mr Reno proves himself....it's tree fiddy!

·
88 Posts
to do jobs that are just "labour"??I am starting out and it keeps my overhead low. what are your thoughts?
My thoughts?:whistling

Materials are not overhead! Oh and labour is labor unless you mean Labour Party or your from Canada or the U.K. and that's where that profile comes in. :w00t:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts