Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Partner and I just started a new Electrical Business and were doing alright but would like to know how some of you other contractors go about bidding a custom home and what to exclude if anything?

U

·
0 Posts
Rookie Year said:
My Partner and I just started a new Electrical Business and were doing alright but would like to know how some of you other contractors go about bidding a custom home and what to exclude if anything?
When we bid a custom home we have the basic package that goes into any house, (depending upon the square footage of course) and then add the extras on an item by item basis. This seems to work out well, as they can choose what they want and we dont waste our time having to redo the outlets and fire alarms etc.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
Typically you'll want to exclude items such as dumpster rental, temp toilets, and that type of on-site utilities. Any concrete equipment pads for your equipment should be excluded and provided by GC. If you are only providing power distribution then you will want to exclude any lighting controls, fire alarm systems, cable access television, etc.
These may seem trivial if you aren't bidding on them - but it does cover your butt if there is ever a question. We've had electricians try and exclude painting, concrete, plumbing, etc.. :) and on the other side of it we've had them try and exclude breakers for the panels.
The best way to bid a job is to have a set of plans and specifications (dated) and when you provide your bid give a detailed breakout of everything you are providing (scope) with the wording "per electrical plans and specifications drawn by "electrical engineer" dated x/x/xx "

1 - 3 of 3 Posts