Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one have a price list on their site or any pricing at all? Is it not the best idea to do so?? From what I'm seeing most don't do it, but when people call they're either going to ask you to come out or to give them a ball park estimate over the phone. So why not just put some prices on your site? Yes, No??

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts
Any one have a price list on their site or any pricing at all? Is it not the best idea to do so?? From what I'm seeing most don't do it, but when people call they're either going to ask you to come out or to give them a ball park estimate over the phone. So why not just put some prices on your site? Yes, No??
I have it on mine. I haven't had a problem with it being there far as I can tell

·
semi-skilled laborer
2,075 Posts
No way in hell I am doing it, too many variables for me. I dont what some HO with a 2000 square foot kitchen thinking I will paint it for $200. I dont give estimates over the phone, I dont do the "ballpark" thing. If you are really interested in having any part of your home professionaly painted then you wont mind giving up some of your time to get an accurate estimate. It may be different for other trades, but I dont see how a painter could do it. People will try to hold you to the price. Once I have seen the job and gone over what they want on site, then they can hold me to the price, but not over the phone or online.

·
Banned
9,058 Posts
I think posting prices (or price ranges, more probably) would be a good thing, especially with pics and/or drawings of certain projects....ALONG with a good list of what can affect that price.

Certainly would help a lot with sticker shock. Yeah, it would help competitors "lowball" you, possibly. But if you did it very professionaly (big if), it could be a very good thing, I believe.

As far as painting...think of a few good pics and cad renders of what a room looks like ("before" pic) and what a room could look like...with a few different colors/trim options...easily drawn/rendered...along with some price ranges....hmmmm

·
Registered
83 Posts
I can see merit in this concept but it's tricky for my focus of residential, exterior repaints.

This week alone our projects included houses ranging from 15 - 250 (not a typo) years old. Listing a price range that encompasses the disparity of work required for those jobs would be pretty much useless. The carpentry on the old place didn't involve a single stock size of lumber either.

For project that involve gutting or building new, it makes lots of sense.

·
semi-skilled laborer
2,075 Posts
It would cut down on all the fun "how much should I charge ?" threads, there by robbing this fine site of alot of entertainment value.
I dont want the lowballers knowing what I charge, they might get smart and start charging more then $20 an hour, which would mean it would take longer for them to go out of business.

·
Banned
669 Posts
RBS, $95 an hour!?!
Remodel $200 per sq ft!?!
Additions $300 per sq ft!?!

(whistle in disbelief) There must be something in the D.C Water that makes people spend lot's of money!?

·
Banned
669 Posts
No one who uses a "Z" in the word servicez should get $95 bucks an hour.

... unless it's Booty call servicez!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts