Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 352 Posts

·
Custom Home Builder
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an HVAC tech come over tonight and he filled my unit with 5lbs of freon. He checked my 2 units to make sure they were both full. He was here for about an hour and charged me $200. Is this a fair price?

He said the cost of freon has risen dramatically over the past several months. How much do you guys charge for a similar service, or what price per lb do you charge? I look forward to your comments.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi. In Miami that price is about right. The only thing is that in order for the freon to leak out, there has to be an open pore in the lines. Freon doesn't just escape out of a system. He must have cap the leak and refilled the system back up. If you have to call him because your system isn't cooling, he really didn't do the right thing in the first place and charged you too much. Freon has gone up in price. I don't know how old your system is but soon all Freon 22 will be gone and only 410A Freon will be available. Your system may not be suitable for that type of freon.

I had an HVAC tech come over tonight and he filled my unit with 5lbs of freon. He checked my 2 units to make sure they were both full. He was here for about an hour and charged me $200. Is this a fair price?

He said the cost of freon has risen dramatically over the past several months. How much do you guys charge for a similar service, or what price per lb do you charge? I look forward to your comments.

·
Custom Home Builder
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My system is only about 4 years old. He said he would fill it for now and come back in about 2 weeks and recheck it. Then we can determine where it's leaking and fix the problem. The systems are under warranty for 10 years. He didn't originally install them and I don't really care to deal with the guy that did. Any more suggestions? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
107 Posts
$200.00 is a very good price for what he did, however, what he did was not very professional. like "cityconnection" stated above freon does not just leave the system. you have a leak, by just refilling he's emptying your pocket (next time another $200.00?) and doing damage to the stratosphere on the process, not to mention it's illegal not to correct a leak when you know there is one.:no:

·
Custom Home Builder
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He actually did me a favor and came to my house with only 15 minutes of day light left. He was here for about an hour and it was dark most of the time he was here. He said he will come back within the next 2 weeks and repair the leak.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I am just a small guy,trying to build a business the old fashioned way. It's hvac companies that charge those kind of rates makes us look bad. I know certain larger companies have great expenses, but if they have to charge $100/lb to make a profit, they need to learn to spend their money more wise.

Call your local Goodman Supplier, and ask them to reccomend a good hvac person. Thats my advise.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I am just a small guy,trying to build a business the old fashioned way. It's hvac companies that charge those kind of rates makes us look bad. I know certain larger companies have great expenses, but if they have to charge $100/lb to make a profit, they need to learn to spend their money more wise.
Some companies actually pay their guys more then just 16 to 19 bucks an hour.

So instead of putting all the overhead to pay a uy 19 bucks an hour.
They put some of it on the parts also.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Some companies actually pay their guys more then just 16 to 19 bucks an hour.

So instead of putting all the overhead to pay a uy 19 bucks an hour.
They put some of it on the parts also.
If you charge $290.00 for 5lbs of r-22:eek:, you better be paying$40.00hr. Plus their health coverage.

I understand the concept of mark-up, but those numbers are obscene:furious:

1 - 20 of 352 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.