Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We do small handyman type jobs for retail maintenance companies just as a supplement to everything else we do. Most companies that we work for send a work order with a not to exceed amount. We have started to contact new companies to get additional work in our area.

Several of the companies are asking for hourly rates. For residential customers we charge $60 an hour on the rare occasions we work on T&M. I want to get a range of what others charge for commercial retail maintenance. These are things like replacing a few tiles, installing missing cove base, replacing a door closer. Just junk odds and ends.

I know, we don't discuss pricing here and everyone wants to know what my overhead is, what we need to make etc...
I just don't want to leave a bunch of money on the table. We could use the extra work right now but, it has to be worth the trouble of dealing with retail. After hours, rush jobs, clueless employees, and waiting for payment.

I don't need an exact amount. I'm just looking for you are too high, too low, maybe closer to $100 or $40.

Thanks to those that respond.

·
Registered
238 Posts
60 sounds ok to me. I think you would have to have a minimum though. Maybe trip charge for out of area and/or after hours. You could always call around to other companies in your area for quotes to find out more.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
It totally depends on your region, responsiveness, and the professional decorum your employees display.
Best case: You send presentable employees who show up on time and respect the fact that that the retail business is not willing to stop the world because "you have arrived". If your employees have enough common sense to work around the business, stop the power tools when their phone rings or a customer comes in, then $80-$90 would work in my area. (Chicago suburbs)
Worst case: You send a worker who is not as described above, then $30 or less should suffice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts