Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fu*king Price Pfister has really busted my balls on my bathroom remodel.

Got a shower only Pfister valve that is leaking out of the shower head for the last 5 days.

I replaced the cartridge 2 times with no better resulsts.

3 days ago - 1st call to Pfister customer service and the nimrod tells me that that is normal, that it is supposed to leak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tells me that they have incorporated a backflow valve into their cartridge and it may take a week of use before it seats itself...

yeah right! I'm guessing it is this kids last day on the job there and he is having as much fun as he can before 5:00 pm quiting time.

Today - 2nd call to Pfister customer service asks the distance from the valve to the shower head, I tell him 32 inches, he tells me that anything over 30 inches can lead to trouble. I just about tell him to go F himself and ask what the F the distance from the head to the valve has to do with their valve leaking?

His reply is that, he doesn't know if it matters actually, but just that he has been told to tell customers that they should keep the head within 30 inches of the valve.

They are now sending a new cartridge from the factory, according to him it is an all in one cartridge instead of the 2 piece I have. I ask him if this cartridge has been redesigned to deal with all the problems they have been having with leaking shower heads do the the cartridge design, he says he doesn't know, but repeats with great enthusiasm how this is a all in one and not a 2 piece design.

At that point I just say great, I can't wait. I'll call you back after I get it if it doesn't solve the problem.

I will never again deal with a Price Pfister product if I can help it, I'm sticking to Moen and Delta from now on if I have anything to do with it.

If end up having to rip out the fiberglass surround and all the work surrounding it in order to pull out this valve when it is all send and done I'm going to need some serious therapy!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Mike Finley said:
I will never again deal with a Price Pfister product if I can help it, I'm sticking to Moen and Delta from now on if I have anything to do with it.
Ten years ago, when I bought the house I'm in now, the seller made a big point of how all the faucets and tub controls were 'new' Price Pfister fixtures-within two years they were all leaking.
I've replaced all the bathroom fixtures with Delta and the kitchen with Moen. None of the bathroom fixtures have ever had a problem. The Moen faucet actually developed a pinhole in the spout at about year six and the valves have needed cartridge replacement twice in eight years. In each instance all it took was an E-mail to Moen and the parts arrived without charge in the mail. Everything was an easy fix.

Now, if I could just find the perfect toilet flush/fill assembly.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Never - plunger behind every toilet :Thumbs:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I like Grohe with Moen second.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
When I bulit my own house 11 years ago, the plumber shoved an Eljer faucet catalog at my wife. Never needed anything for any of them, yet. Got Eljer everywhere. Kitchen, baths, showers, tubs, laundry.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I have Grohe throughout the house but more impressive is that it has been on board my boat for 20 yrs. without a problem or surface defect. I'm in saltwater, BTW. The fixtures do run fresh water.

·
Registered
7 Posts
this may sound stupid but have you checked your water pressure. some valves wont handle any pressure over 80lbs. just a thought. if you have to call pp again ask about pressure problems. I dont much care for pp I would have to agree with the Delta or maybe Kohler

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I rented a place to a plumber who wanted moens in the kitchen and bath sinks. Free labor I paid for the parts. Four years later the plumber was gone and the faucets were falling apart. No help from moen so I put them on display at the orange home center, right next to the shinny new ones, with a little note. I think they were up there a couple of days anyway.<P>
I've got over 20 yrs on about 60 Deltas. Only failure was when the guy tried to wash his motorcycle in the sink. RT.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
plumbbob said:
this may sound stupid but have you checked your water pressure. some valves wont handle any pressure over 80lbs. just a thought. if you have to call pp again ask about pressure problems. I dont much care for pp I would have to agree with the Delta or maybe Kohler
Actually there was/is a pressure issue. At the start of this job the homeowner remarked how he has such high water pressure. During the remodel by coincidence his pressure reducing valve is suddenly leaking. I told my plumber sub that the homeowner wants it replaced and to just deal with him on it on the side between the two of you.

The plumber replaced the valve. I looked at it during the initial issues of the leaking shower head and did mention high pressure to Price Pfister also, unfortunately this was to the customer service kid who obviously in his spare time is growing pot under his desk who told me that leaking is normal, so there was no response worth mentioning in regard to high pressure.

I suspected high pressure and brought my cheapo garden house presure valve and hooked it up to his front and back hose bibs outside and it read 110 psi on both. I called the plumber and he said the hose bibs are probably by passed by the pressure reducing valve so they won't read true.

The pressure reducing valve reads on its label 25psi to 75 psi, I cranked the nut all the way down to what I thought would be 25psi and asked the homeowner the next day if his water pressure seemed to have changed, he said they didn't notice any changes.

How should I test the water pressure inside the house?

·
Registered
438 Posts
That Paucet with the Punny name is junk.

Never never install them, I wont install any product that I am sure will leak before I leave.

As for the pressure problem, you try any good brand Kolher, American Standard and see if pressure would be a problem.

Best thing to do with them, is to leave them on the shelf.

BJD

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Mike Finley said:
...called the plumber and he said the hose bibs are probably by passed by the pressure reducing valve so they won't read true.How should I test the water pressure inside the house?
I've never seen the hose bibs by passed. Learn something everyday I guess.
I have a fine thread (aerator) / hose thread adapter adapters around here somewhere that I used years ago to fill a water bed. Something like that would get your pressure gauge on the lavatory sink. Expect to see a pressure difference of about 4 PSI per floor.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
How should I test the water pressure inside the house?[/QUOTE]
Your pressure guage should fit on the bottom of the water heater and get you in the ball park. Run it for a second before you test if there is no expansion tank on the system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Mike,
If they have a washer check pressure there. Or you can check it at the water heater drain. One other thing to consider is the possiabilty of thermoal expansion. Dont know if you have a big problem with this or not but it's worth having your plumber check. Most of the time we install our front hose bibbs before the prv and the rear has house pressure. This makes it a lot easier when you need to check street/house pressure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts