Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a sub for this flooring company I have been working for for 6yrs we had a job that was 2260 sq ft it was pattern, 1 foot boarders through out...ok we had to cut to fit on both sides he had on our paper work .50 a foot which I think is to low and cheap I charged him .80 because much more time was invovled with the floor. Do any of you guys think I went over board on the price. We also had to do Mill Work Base...he had on there .50 a foot, now I know being in the floor Business for about 17 years this stuff is worth every bit over a dollar...I was charging him $1.50 and you have to cut this stuff with a miter saw! Opinions Please??? Thanks,
George ( Baltimore Maryland )

·
Registered
53 Posts
How long did it take? Did you do a good job? Did you get paid? How much do you make in a year? What is your truck payment? How many blades did you use? Was the customer happy? How much does insurance cost? Do you have any kids in college? When you go on vacation, how much do you spend?

We need the answer to these questions and quite a few more questions before we can determine if you went overboard or not. I don't have the full list of questions with me right now, otherwise I would post it here.

If anyone has the full list of the questions used to determine proper pricing, please post it here to help the guy out.

·
Knowledge Factory
1,359 Posts
I am a sub for this flooring company I have been working for for 6yrs we had a job that was 2260 sq ft it was pattern, 1 foot boarders through out...ok we had to cut to fit on both sides he had on our paper work .50 a foot which I think is to low and cheap I charged him .80 because much more time was invovled with the floor. Do any of you guys think I went over board on the price. We also had to do Mill Work Base...he had on there .50 a foot, now I know being in the floor Business for about 17 years this stuff is worth every bit over a dollar...I was charging him $1.50 and you have to cut this stuff with a miter saw! Opinions Please??? Thanks,
George ( Baltimore Maryland )

Hate to say it, but if it said, "pays .50¢ a foot", on the paperwork and you looked at it and took the job, that is your subcontract with the prime contract.

If you knew you were going to charge more, you negotiate right then, not after the job is done and you feel you need more money now.

You never lose money on jobs you don't do. Walk away if it is not going to profitable for you. Some illegal will do it for a dime a foot and be as happy as a lark.:censored:

I wouldn't pay you a dime more than what is on the contract/paperwork.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I got to agree with Floordude. It's totally unprofessional to go do a job and after it's done pull numbers out of your ass that only relate to the pipe dream of what you WISH you could get paid.

There's no such thing as negotiations after the fact. The job is done. Bill it and learn your lesson.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts