Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just hung a room of dark paper, all went well but the next day one or two seams slightly opened up and exposed a white edge, with the dark paper that slight edge shows right up.

Any suggestions on how to prevent this? I have wondered if hanging in a certain direction has any effect?

·
Always Learning
8,472 Posts
When I double cut I will hold my blade at a slight angle. Because of the angle the top piece of paper is cut slightly larger than the piece below. This gives the seem edge a bit of "tension" when you put the seem together. Make sense?

Also I have had luck using dark pencil lead to color a white edge. I know a hanger that keeps some artist charcoal with him and he will lightly rub the edges after he cuts before rolling his seems to help blend darker print.

Bear in mind my experience is 100% with commercial paper and not thinner residential paper.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wthe paper is good quality residential paper but nowhere as thick as commercial paper. The problem I see with double cutting the seams is that it is not a random match so the pattern will not match up.

I too have tried the chalk to disguise the white seam but I want to know what I can do to prevent it. Thanks everyone.

·
Always Learning
8,472 Posts
If you match the pattern as you install yhe next piece ,before you cut, why wouldn't it match? Does the paper not have bleed over?

·
30 year novice
522 Posts
I always call the manufacturer prior to hanging to get the specifics on hanging that paper. The instructions included can be generic, I've had included instructions that tell you go straight to the wall after wetting and some that say book for several minutes and they're opposite to what I'm told. Same rings true for pre and un pasted papers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
One trick I have used in the past when environmental conditions are uncontrollable: Match the color to a paint, layout the room, and roll the paint on where the seams go the day before. That way if you get a seam popping, it doesn't jump off the wall.

This is not an excuse to [email protected]$$ a job, but it has saved a few jobs by not highlighting issues that I have no control over.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kentdalimp, the problem is not wall surface showing through but the edge of the paper showing. In this particular situation I mixed some paint to the paper color and using a tiny artist brush I just colored the edge of the paper that was showing. Problem solved. I read somewhere about hanging paper in a certain direction to prevent this.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Kentdalimp, the problem is not wall surface showing through but the edge of the paper showing.
Gotcha... Yeah there isn't much you can do because it can be a few things that cause it. There is a decent write up I will link to although it is kind of hard to follow. Know that the edges could have been cut wrong by the factory, but painting it is likely the only way you are going to fix it!

http://www.curlydecorating.co.uk/how-to-fix-white-lines-on-dark-wallpaper/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts