Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been installing a pretty good bit of 3/8 hardwood gluing it over concrete slabs. The glue is made by Bostik and is made to glue down to concrete. I have installed the floor by wet laying and by walk on laying. Both ways I end up with glue on my hands and then on the boards. Then we have to clean the floor with paint thinner and then mop it with some sort of grease removing soap. There is still residue left when looked at from an angle towards a light. Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
HMMM, Is it unfinished wood?
if it is prefinished, and you used paint thinner and some soap, then it may be that the floor finish is now toasted. If it is unfinished wood, then sand that bad boy and finish it.

good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bostik best.

Clean it with mineral spirits. That won't hurt the finish. When you clean it, it will look like it is all gone, but with a little dust in the air, you will always see a few spots that need retouched. It is not real easy, but not real hard neither. Once you get it done, you can admire it for a whole bunch of years , so it is well worth it.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I detest gluedowns but when they must be done, cleanliness is next to godliness. I use latex gloves, cheapies, and change them the second that they contact glue. Clean up glue before it dries, a quick wipe now beats rubbing later.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Bona cleaner is good, but I do not think it will be good enough.
bostic's best adhesive remover has been the best I have used, and it's even safe for already urethaned floors.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Bostik's adhesive remover works very well but you have to clean it as you go and not let it set overnight.

Question for you, are you installing the flooring with the groove out? I have found that the groove out method works best for me on glue-down installations.
You get less adhesive ooze that way.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Good point Jerry:Thumbs:

I never spirits over urathane. Had a customer question me on that once so I called the manufacturer, they said hell no, just like I advised, I was just looking for a second opinion.

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts