Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I called a friend of mine that works a Pine Hall Brick and was telling him about this picture. He laughed at me , and told me that this was actually designed and built by brad spencer, a customer of his.

He gets the raw material from the brick company, and does the sculpture, then returns it back to the plant and they fire it for him.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love stuff like this....I really appreciate the workmanship that these guys put into these projects.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
WOW, that's awesome stuart

There's one of a huge 20' firefighter somewhere in NY state. i thought it was either Rochester or Buffalo but google isn't finding it for me

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Wow, very cool stuff. We have a state trade school that has a carved brick panel in it.
So the artist makes it, then it's fired? Always wondered how they did it. I know this panel at the trade school came in as pallets of numbered brick and had to be carefully laid.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Wow, very cool stuff. We have a state trade school that has a carved brick panel in it.
So the artist makes it, then it's fired?

Yes,the clay is sculpted wet,then fired. It is my understanding that most of the time the artist is present to help the masons organize,stage,and view the job in progress so the design comes out exactly as their vision.

I love those brick murals ! I heard the basic starting price for a simple one is $ 40.00 a sq. foot NOT installed. That train could be several $ 100.00 a sq.ft. They are pure art.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know how to post a link to a video, but if ya'll will go to you tube, and type in 'Brad Spencer- brick sculpting' he has an 1:04 video of him creating his sculptures. I highly recommend it, as I think its very interesting.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
You can also embed (i think that's the word) the youtube video directly into the post by going advanced and clicking on the youtube icon. Then ctl c, ctl v the address inside the youtube stuff and erase everything in the address from the = sign back...like this

I left the = sign in so it wouldn't post but when I erase the = sign we get this

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
It seems really tough and daunting but believe me...if i can do it anyone can...I'm next to totally computer illiterate, I just learned about copying and pasting about a year ago...and if you look at some of my early posts I had no idea how to even post a picture. I still fumble around but I'm getting better. Still rather work on my truck though

1 - 20 of 23 Posts