Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Can I get an Amen?
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this yesterday, and it just so happens that the guy was in a shop right next to High Speed Welding http://ryderracks.com/

I talked to the owner for a brief second, but checked out his rack pretty good :laughing::w00t: looks like he makes an awesome product. I know where to go for a ladder rack.

ok, so back to topic.

I scored an ancient DeWalt Model-GA with medium arm and 14" blade. :clap:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,711 Posts
Have you ever turned one sideways and ripped with it? You think every time it is gonna just grab the piece and throw it. I bought one years ago for $75 and never even set it up. Gave it away 6 months later after coming to my senses.

·
Can I get an Amen?
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes they are dangerous (to the untrained), and yes I have rip cut with them.:thumbsup:

But the truth of the matter is, it's only as dangerous as YOU allow it to be.

Once set up "properly" and operated "properly" by some one who "properly" respects the tool, it becomes no more dangerous than any other 3hp power tool.:thumbup:

And I'm not trying to call you out Warner, just saying most Joes off the street should leave these alone.

My favorite thing so far is the little tiny warning tag on the arm, it says not to operate the saw with the carriage stop removed.

You could pull the blade into your belly if it was removed:w00t:

Most tools now a days have GIANT ugly safety tags plastered all over em.

·
Registered
492 Posts
That is the single most useful tool any shop can have when properly set up. My friends father makes raised panels with his that can't be made with a shaper or any other power tool. I have one that needs to be set up, one of these days.

·
Can I get an Amen?
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
U got it right Drew. :thumbsup:

I'm foreseeing an increase in production on my repetitive projects.

I've got a few things to finish up and then hopefully by the end of January I'll be free enough to set this beast up.

I've already sold my smaller RAS so I've got nothing to fall back on till this one is ready.

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Nice score there...

Arron...:thumbsup:
that's mid 50's model I have the service manual for you if you would like it... .. ;) Unless Mr. green beets me to the finish line..:w00t::laughing: :scooter:

Awsome :thumbsup:

B.

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Warren...

I agree with you.. to a certain degree. Ras were always designed to pull .. not to the push material through... here is the kicker on that.. you take any RAS saw out there during that time where most contractors went to get them. They were totally underpowered and overrated .
ahhhhhhhh... 3hp.. "really" :rolleyes:
the tag may have said 3hp... that was not the case.. that was a "developed" 3hp not true based on a true sin wave-. I have several motors in my rat hole.. but they are all "3ph" drives "motors" 3hp... is 3hp period.. but what they were manufacturing on RAS of that time to the general contracting market.. were crap- period... very heavy stators balanced on the very outer edge of the stator......they got away with that... for a while..
so the manual says.. and in detail... how to rip wood.. this is where the BOG factor comes into play.. it;s not like it wants to eat the wood but needs to be governed on how fast you throw material through it.... they would not keep up... period... :rolleyes:
What Arron has... that is a TOTALLY different animal.. ;) trust me.;)

that is "industrial" equipment.. and does not even compare to what we had where ever we went at that time were most WWr's would go to buy equipment.... unless you even KNEW the fact that these were out there... non the less shelling out over $3500,.00 for one of these...
we were sold on a hpl based on accelerated HP and not a true hp rating what Arron has is "NOT" based on momentum and instead is a true, powerhouse and a undeniably a massive cutting machine... :thumbsup: Kudos!:thumbup:

But that ripping aspect...like Warren said,,, unless you have had one of these before... word to the wise... safety... and common sense:notworthy- always

Sweet Arron:clap: just respect your machinery...:notworthy

B.

·
Can I get an Amen?
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Been busy, but made a litle progress

Well I've been up to my neck in "real" work:rolleyes: but I finally got to play around with my RAS.

I put a 1-1/2" thick plywood table on it, a 3/4" thick fence, a 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" clamping caul, and two 2,500# toggle clamps to hold the caul tight to the fence.

As it sits, I have a 22" cross cut ability at 90 degrees, and I haven't checked my 45 yet. But I bet it's more than an Bosch robo miter:w00t: LOL

This thing is a dream, well worth the $400 I spent.

I'll be putting on an 1/8" thick tempered hardboard sacrificial top this weekend.

Pardon the messy shop, the mess is a direct byproduct of work;)

Attachments

·
Can I get an Amen?
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Arron...:thumbsup:
that's mid 50's model I have the service manual for you if you would like it... .. ;) Unless Mr. green beets me to the finish line..:w00t::laughing: :scooter:

Awsome :thumbsup:

B.
Thanks for the offer, I hadn't made it back to this thread till tonight........ I already have all my info (which was ordered from Wolfe Machinery) Thank you though.

·
Can I get an Amen?
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have you ever turned one sideways and ripped with it? You think every time it is gonna just grab the piece and throw it. I bought one years ago for $75 and never even set it up. Gave it away 6 months later after coming to my senses.

Yes, my old Craftsman pc of junk. I ripped with it quite a bit:thumbsup:
Never had a problem with it though. I actually preferred ripping with it, and not my job site table saw. And yes I am implying that I lugged my craftsman RAS out to several jobs:w00t:

I'm trying to score another Craftsman RAS for cheep, just so I can shoot a youtube vid of me CUTTING IT UP on the table of my new RAS. :party:

·
Can I get an Amen?
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My wife put the 6 youngens to bed for me:clap:

So I beat feet out to the garage and finished up the table top for the RAS. A little carpet tape, some 1/8" hardboard, a J roller, and a block plane. :thumbsup: done!

I leveled out the top yesterday, tonight or tomorrow I'll go through the other 99 :rolleyes: items for lining this beast up.

Then it's sawdust time, woo hoo!
Just need a DC hook up.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
That looks purdy. I've never had the opportunity to use a RAS, but I lust after them, probably the best saw you can possibly own to cut miters. We have the Delta X5 at the shop I work in, but it's not set up with a fence or anything yet. It's their full size commercial unit. It's a beast.

·
Can I get an Amen?
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ever since I got my 1st Craftsman RAS, I was on the hunt for a "real" one.

Getting the table and fence set up isn't hard, it can be done rather quickly. Grab that X5 and get it going, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

I haven't cut ANYTHING with this one yet, but I know what my toy RAS did, and just setting this one up gets me all giddy and excited. It is NOTHING like the DIY radial arm saws that's for sure.

Purdy huh? :laughing: Just wait till I have some time to really clean it up with some new paint colors.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Paint, colors? What is this a shop or a nail salon? :whistling

The shop foreman gets a little testy when I try to work on the tools, something about not doing what he asked me to, even when I've finished work.

That and as it is a community college shop we have students in there, and well it worries me when some of them use the table saw WITH a guard on, or the CMS for that matter.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts