Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dad and I have been working on restoring our office over the past year, which was the first bank in our town and home of one of the earliest and biggest empires in our area, The T.L. Wright Lumber Company. The only thing we are really unsure about is how to preserve the gold leaf lettering on the front door. It's been the for a REALLY long time and we want to keep it there for the history of our town. It's really fragile. It flakes off so easily. any advice on how to preserve what's left???

Attachments

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Id find someone in the area that specializes in gold leaf, and have them come look at it. From the picture it doesn't look like it will be saved but I'm sure they can redo it

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
I'm guessing that the safest way would be to apply a film over it. Doing the whole pane would probably look better than just doing the gilded section and having the film line.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,496 Posts
If that's on the inside of the glass, the glue or varnish used to stick it to the glass is failing. Putting a coating over it is somewhat risky, since it can accelerate the cracking / peeling. Your basic choices are to keep it out of sunlight and heat to try to slow the aging, or have it redone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts