• Whatever I happen to have on that day

Votes: 1 12.5%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What do you wear to meet a new client? :D

Now after you answer the poll question, Ask yourself does the client really care, what i am wearing?

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
I generally try to look professional on my calls. I've often wondered if it somehow detracts from the contractor look. But I would rather look well kept. No tie or anything just business casual.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
People form an opinion of you subconsciously within the first 3 seconds they meet you. This includes watching you pull up to their house. You never get a second chance to make a first impression. Pull up to their house 5 minutes early with a clean washed truck with no rust or dents. Have everything ready (stop down the street and organize yourself if you have to) so when you get to their house, you pull out your clip board and walk right to the door.

Walk straight up, smiling and confident. You never know if they are watching you from a window. Also having some mints handy never hurts! I try to pop a mint about 5 minutes before I get to a customer's house, this way I am not sucks on a mint while talking to them, but my breath is still fresh and minty.

Does it really matter? YES!

I either wear a clean pair of blue jeans (CLEAN) with a clean pair of work boots and a polo shirt with my company logo, or I wear a neat pair of khakis, with a polo and a belt, and a pair of sketchers. If I am doing a roof for an average middle class family the jeans and polo are fine. If I am going to do a window estimate in an upper middle class neighborhood I go in the khakis.

No matter what I want to wear a shirt that has my company logo.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Well I am in sales, so of course I am dressy.
I also handle upper end clients, so I have a nice truck, and clean shiny shoes :)
I keep my truck clean, but there is no need during breakup, because everybody's car is dirty for a month or so :)

When I work with builders it is alot more casual, but still professional.

Grumpy makes a good point about attitude. Some people watch from a window, and if you look like the contractors on commercials, with a clipboard, logo shirt, and a nice smile, then they are givin a good first immpression before they open the door.

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dress dressy, because I work in the office half of the day and in the field for the other half. I have a Design/ Build company and when I present plans to a new client I like to be dressy but I had a couple tell me the other day that the reason I didnt get there roofing job was because I dressed to nice.

I was really upset because it was a good job and I take a lot of pride in my clothes and how I present myself and to hear that it kinda shot me down.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Cole... if it's JUST roofing, you shouldn't dress up. You can see above where I said I wear jeans to a roofing estimate.

Right now I have jeans on, with a polo that has my company log, tucked in. I have on a pair of lugz work boots, which aren't really work boots at all but are suede and look like work boots.

Dress the occasion! I keep a change of work clothes in my truck if I ever have to get dirty.

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Grumpy, I forgot to tell you before I went and did the estimate I had to present a plan to a couple. What do you do in this case?

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I am going to schedule all of my roofing estimates on one day so that I dont have to dress up that day. That probably would solve everything.

Good Idea or Bad?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Cole_21 said:
I had a couple tell me the other day that the reason I didnt get there roofing job was because I dressed to nice.
That is soooo lame! :rolleyes: I wouldn't let a single incident like that have too much impact on the decision making process.

my rules: 1.) CLEAN!! clothes, truck, etc. unless something really unusual demands otherwise 2.) buttondown shirt with jeans or Khakis (I try to keep an extra shirt and slacks hanging in the truck for emergencies) 3.) no loose or otherwise visible dirt on the shoes (nothing like leaving a trail of mud across a customer's office 4.) recently shaved 5.) haircut every 2nd Tuesday of the month 6.) don't go hungry or needing a bathroom 7.) a "curiously strong" breath mint before I go in to a meeting 8.) SOCKS for God's sake!
9.) information or note taking materials as appropriate (sometimes I don't want a lot of specific information too handy)

I've been to meetings where an owner is walking around the conference room in stocking feet or wearing OP shorts and flip-flops. That's OK for the owner, not the contractor (remember the golden rule). I've also seen subs really play up the "poor me" by wearing ragged, dirty clothes to meetings and driving the crappiest truck in their yard. Personally, I think that's stupid.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I first always have my assistant call ahead from the office to verify the appointment.

I make sure the truck is washed and pretty look'n so I make the right impression when I pull up. It's important to look successful, but not too successful, I don't want to intimidate the customer.

I like to always wear a white shirt with a name tag to present a professional image. I usually bring my own beverage so I don't have to impose on the customer if I get thirsty during the presentation.

The one rule that can't ever be broken is the crew has to wear clean jeans on the jobsite, no exceptions.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I voted casual but dress for the occasion. I also live in FL which is warmer and more casual than most states. In the City of Stuart they actually have an ordinance forbidding jackets and ties during July, August and September. I swear that's true!
I have always liked Hawaiian shirts and many years ago I was in a casual business after hours get together and overheard someone referring to me as 'the hawaiin shirt guy'. I looked around and saw a sea of golf shirts and button down collars. I have been the Hawiian shirt guy ever since.
Summer BDU is Sportif cargo shorts, Hawaiian shirt and TopSiders. Winter, change the the Sportifs for Dockers and I'll throw on a sportcoat with COLOR but always solid. If I have the time I'll throw in a color coordinated carnation buttoneer (I just like the smell). If it gets really cold I wear red and green socks, green to the starboard side (another trademark).
I would not recommend this to a new startup in KS but I'm old, have an excellent rep as my father did before me and people don't forget me. Besides if you take all of this too seriously, you gonna die early. Have some fun!

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Grumpy said:
Mike which pic is yours? :)
Come on now! They all are! :cheesygri

I'm a company logo branded polo shirt guy and jeans; the exact same thing I wear to work is what I wear to quote, just make sure it is clean. I would rather look like somebody who could actually do the work I'm selling rather than just a salesman.

When it comes to hiring tradesman to work on my personal house I only hire the guy with calluses on his hands, I never hire a company that sends out a salesman, I want the guy I shake hands on the deal with to be the guy who shows up on the job. I got tired of the lost in translation routines when the crew that shows up looks at you with a blank stare when you confirm some aspect of the job with them, then as soon as you walk away they are frantically whipping out the cell phone to call the salesman. But, that's just me.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Mike, where did you get those pics? Redneck.com?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Flor- I went to Google, selected "images" and used keyword "redneck". Almost all those were found plus lots more (redneck "pool" is a hoot)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Dress

Polo and jeans. Casual for me.

"Ask yourself does the client really care, what i am wearing?"

You betcha. If they didn't I'd wear my realtree overalls and go straight from the appointment to the tree stand.

Grumpy's dead-on right about this topic about clothes and vehicle. The vehicle does make a difference.

Tim

P.S. That was hilarious Mike. I'm going to steal that and forward it to a bunch of contractors around here.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Contractors

Grumpy they just woke up to this century and got e-mail. Need to bring them into the modern world slowly...lol.

Tim

1 - 20 of 23 Posts