Votes: 4 80.0%
  • doesnt matter

Votes: 1 20.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's say someone you are interested in hiring to do anything for you... replace a celing, revamp your computer system, ANYTHING... gives you a brochure on CD. Let's say this is a kind of slideshow presentation.

Now would you be more likley to view the cd if it were w MS powerpoint presentation that required the install of a special viewer or would you be more likley to view the brochure if it was browser based, like Flash?

Either can be of the best quality presentations. Which would you prefer to VIEW?

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
A presentation that requires the least amount of work by the viewer is always the best option. One that you stick in the cd draw and starts by itself. Anything else and you risk the end user doesn't have the sophistication nor the desire to mess around with downloading, he will get frustrated and end up not viewing your work.

The second option is to burn in multiple formats and give the customer the one that he knows he has.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Power point will work for anyone running windows. When you bundle the presentation it also burns the self extracting viewer install program.

This is bad. I don't install viewers on my program unless I really really want to view something.

I too lean for flash because almost everyone has it already.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Call me old fashioned but for big ticket items I want to meet the contractor, visit his jobs and talk to his references. To H with his promotionals.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think it could be a good sales tool for residential customers if it's on the contractor/salesman's lap top. The customer could get a visual of the work that will be done and of a finished job. I don't consider this any different than a shingle sample or a paint sample. Go back to the basics of selling - the salesman is responsible for closing the deal. If a presentation will help close the sale then it's a good idea. The reason for using the salesman's computer is to keep him in control of the sale and involved with the customer.
I would not use a presentation for my commercial clients. They know what they want and most of the time it's bidding to established specs.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Teetor absolutely! However the presentation CD is like a brochure you can leave with the customer. YOuc an even list your refrences on the cd, with pics of those houses. You can insert video clips of your crews working. "This is how WE do chimney flashing."

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anita, I haven't used movie maker but I just downloaded it a few weeks ago. It's my understanding movie maker makes movies... What I mean is it's lineal and static... I want something dynamic, where they can kinda "surf". I may be wrong about my assessment of movie maker, I've never used it.

Nate and Hatchet, when you say make it executable does that mean .exe file? If so the answer: NO WAY! People are too scared of viruses now-a-days to open files unless they know what they are. If it's not exe then you may be onto something!

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Grumpy, the more I thought about this I started remembering some stuff from a few years ago. Saying you want them to be able to surf reminded me of it. The was or is a product called something like Web Ripper or similar.

It allows you to pull your website and put it onto surfable CDs, there wouldn't be any plug ins, all the user needs is a browser I believe. I remember a few years ago a lot of companies were doing this so they could have a totally portable presentation for their sales persons, and they wouldn't need to access the Internet to do it, they were also using it to make leave behind presentation CDs.

I recall that even if your website wasn't exactly the perfect presentation piece as it was, people would just add a section or create another custom website using pieces of their existing one and add some special pages that were better suited to a presentation, that being a lot easier to produce, and then just using that software to rip a CD of it.

I think part of the popularity of it was that people were even then used to the surfing techniques to it was very natural for people to be able to navigate around.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
I would agree with you if they were downloading it from the internet - but if it's handed to them on a CD I wouldn't worry about it at all. With autorun they wouldn't know if it was .exe .ppt or whatever.

Grumpy said:
Nate and Hatchet, when you say make it executable does that mean .exe file? If so the answer: NO WAY! People are too scared of viruses now-a-days to open files unless they know what they are. If it's not exe then you may be onto something!

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes Hatchet but if they pop in the cd to see some pics of my work and last week they got a virus and the auto run asks them to install some plug in or software etc... They are gonna rip that cd outta their drive so fast!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts