Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys/Ladies.....

I have a remodel/flip that is very dated with the old "gold/brass" fixtures.

I have had very good results/acceptance in past work with revitalizing older light fixtures and non-operable/wearable type fixtures with Rustoleums Hammered Paint.

(Floor register in picture was only prepped with acetone to clean and light scratch sanding and appears to have good adhesion).

I'm assesing the possibility/feasability of using Hammered paint on some more operable/subject-to-wear fixtures.... specifically door handles/passages and shower door frames.

My objective is to prep in the best manner possible/feasable to give this process best chance of success in more operable/wearable hardware. (Granted, I'm unsure of ultimate success.)

These door handles are basically a builder's grade, "gold-brass" plated inexpensive finish (they aren't Baldwin brass).

Does anyone have opinions/advice in regard to the best method to prep these handles for the best chance of sucess.

I am considering: (besides obvious degreasing with acetone)

1) Sanding/scratching the polished surface (Thought of sand blasting but not feasable with operating mechanism in door.... sanding with paper but groves etc an issue... and wire wheeling it.?

2) Acid type wipe or bath....or other solvent...?

3) Primer for adhesion... Although I seem to have good adhesion now, I'm wondering if there is a better primer for metal adhesion recommended.... I have not experimented with my varios primers/oils or "Grip" etc.

TIA.......

Best

(PS: Rustoleum label references a primer is not required)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
The time to prep, prime, paint...labor and materials. Doesn't that about equal buying new door handles? Those handles pictured look pretty standard. They'd look crappy painted anyways and wouldn't wear well.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe there is a special place in hell for whoever paints over brass fixtures.

Now, it might be possible to patina the brass to look like an oil rubbed bronze.

Andy.
Andy.... So ..... how special is that place in hell...;)

Actually, I am aware that there might not be a viable technique.... I'm just looking for a best shot try.

I would be interested in your constructive advice in regard to "Patinaing" it.

Best

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
A friend of mine did all the accessories on a drop in tub... He wire wheeled the brass plating off then cleared for the look of brushed nickel.

Reactions: MTN REMODEL LLC

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The time to prep, prime, paint...labor and materials. Doesn't that about equal buying new door handles? Those handles pictured look pretty standard. They'd look crappy painted anyways and wouldn't wear well.
Caslon....

The economics are probably fine in my application. I figure about $900 savings done in my spare downtime of probably 8 hours.... so it would work fine economically for my circumstance.

As to appearance painted in Hammer, it looks great, everybody has loved/admired it, and previous use has had great market acceptance.

As to wearability, that is the primary concern and exactly why I wrote the thread investigating the issue and asking any recommendations as to priming/prepping that MIGHT improve adhesion/wearability.

It is likely/maybe not viable and feasable, I know that allready.... but I'll probably test it anyway.

Best

Best

·
Registered
47 Posts
Over at Eastwood they sell their 2k primers I've been using restoring my 52 pilothouse. Excellent primer and great adhesion to bare metal. I've used it on other small projects with great success.
It's expensive though so may not work cost wise for you. I use a gun to apply it but the 2 part system also comes in an aerosol can.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
ScipioAfricanus said:
I believe there is a special place in hell for whoever paints over brass fixtures. Now, it might be possible to patina the brass to look like an oil rubbed bronze. Andy.
And door hinges. OP, just change them out. Even if you have to get new ones from the habitat reuse store. Do the right job.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Over at Eastwood they sell their 2k primers I've been using restoring my 52 pilothouse. Excellent primer and great adhesion to bare metal. I've used it on other small projects with great success.
It's expensive though so may not work cost wise for you. I use a gun to apply it but the 2 part system also comes in an aerosol can.
Midwest.... Thank ya.....

I'm not familiar with Eastwood.... would you know exact name/maker of that primer.......

Best

Peter

·
Registered
47 Posts
I believe they make it. I use epoxy primer on bare metal before I do my body filling. They have many types of primer for many applications. I've never painted door hardware so not sure how it would work. Just thought I'd throw it out as an option.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
2k is the brand, and its widely used in auto refinishing. You should be able to get it at your local parts house.

It's an epoxy, so the pot life is short, and the recoat window is short (up to 24 hrs I think)

To bad your not closer, I have about 10 gallons of epoxy primer in the shop right now...

Product Label Material property Drink

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I've used Hammerite hammered metal finish. It's not going to be as glossy, will grab hand oil further dulling and degrading the gloss, and if cleaned will further dull the finish. Overall, I think it will cheapen the look of the door. Home Depot has the lever handles in brass for $22. The entry door handle set similar to your pic... $44.00 (how many can there be?). If those are the actual doors, they look nice. It's a shame to cheapen them by painting the handles. Savvy potential buyers will pick up on the cheapened look.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I've used Hammerite hammered metal finish. It's not going to be as glossy, will grab hand oil further dulling and degrading the gloss, and if cleaned will further dull the finish. Overall, I think it will cheapen the look of the door. Home Depot has the lever handles in brass for $22. The entry door handle set similar to your pic... $44.00 (how many can there be?). If those are the actual doors, they look nice. It's a shame to cheapen them by painting the handles. Savvy potential buyers will pick up on the cheapened look.
Caslon... Thanks.... Yes, Besides chipping I was also concerned with general wear and cleaning........... good to know your experience with Hammertite Brand.

The Rustoleum seems very glossy and cleanable, but there probably is not much of a practcal way to test that apart from time and usage.

Yes, I have 18 doors, that I ballparked at $50 door for 900 (not counting entry doors).(In Aged Rubbed Bronze, the cheap/medium passageway is $40-50. That entry door is Slage, but in Kwikset, it is 140. ) The home is 4500 finished sf.

The doors are decent/good..... solid six panel. And I share your thought/ concern with cheapening something out...

....and I would/will not use if I wasn't pretty darn sure of its reliability/feasability/dependability.

Best

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Peter:

Everyone's being nice because of who you are. If you were some random new guy we'd be tearing you to bits for planning to paint doorknobs. It won't last.

- Bob

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bob.... Thanks for speaking your honest opinion... although I never doubt such...:thumbsup:

And honestly, I too am skeptical.... guess that's why I went on here.

I mentioned I've had a good, maybe great, reception with certain light fixtures and Hammered finish.... but that is a far cry from a finish subject to wear.

My inquiry was directed toward prep (chipping issue), but I guess I am most concerned with "wearability".

The closest I have come to testing wearability would be a toilet flipper in my own home, for which I could not find a matching flipper in (of all colorors) gold-brass. It has worn very well with no noticable wear for maybe 10 years (I really don't remember because it was not designed as a test, I just did it quick when I couldn't find a fitting gold flipper.)

You should know that I really don't paint (in the sense of brush stroke) a light fixture. I just "daub" it, which does yield a great appearance. (Matter of fact, I've tried spraying, but you get much less relief and more of a uniform paint look.)

I do have a "southern engineering" streak in me.... but not at the cost of a krap lipstick job for someone else.

My real problem, before trying it on a house I'm going to sell , is either getttting someone else's long term experience, (or testing it myself, which obviously would take a long time.)

I really do respect yours and everyones opinion/ judgement/ experience... but no one has told me they actually tried it....(but that probably says something also:no:)

So I think I'm going to try it on my garage-side door handle... which probably has the highest wear usage of any in my house.... plus it won't be comspicuos.

I'll let ya all know updates if I can remember to update this thread thru the years.

Best

Peter

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Any paint in a spray can doesn't have much durability for anything that will be handled frequently. It will wear off and more than likely chip or scratch off the first time a ring comes in contact with it.

I'd consider using a clear coat over whatever you're using if you're gonna try it.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Buy the cheapest replacements (in brass) and add that cost onto the the final asking price of the house. I mean..come on. It's a small percentage of the overall asking price.

If I were a mod...I'd close this thread on that thought..heh. Let's stop.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts