Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, my question pertains to preparing new galvanized gutters. I just began a paint job today and they installed new galvanized gutters. I usually just wipe the new gutters down to remove any dust that might have acumilated in the time between gutter installation and me painting. I then follow up with a quality galvanized metal primer. Is this what you guys also do.

I have also heard that some guys wipe the gutters down with vinegar prior to priming or painting. Is this a good practice? and if so, what benefit do you get by wiping down the gutters with vinegar?

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Grumpy said:
As a roofer who has to bond adhesives and hot ashpalt to galvanized quite frequently I can tell you that galvanized IS NOT clean. It's recommended to whipe it down with vinegar to get the gutter perfectly clean.

With older gutters that may have a little mold on them we usually scrub them with a bleach/water solution. Would this be adequate Grump? Or should we then follow up with the vinegar solution?

And don't most gutters come prefinished from the factory?

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Vinegar first

saucedo80 said:
Hello guys, my question pertains to preparing new galvanized gutters. I just began a paint job today and they installed new galvanized gutters. I usually just wipe the new gutters down to remove any dust that might have acumilated in the time between gutter installation and me painting. I then follow up with a quality galvanized metal primer. Is this what you guys also do.

I have also heard that some guys wipe the gutters down with vinegar prior to priming or painting. Is this a good practice? and if so, what benefit do you get by wiping down the gutters with vinegar?
Several years ago I painted a block of 12 new aircraft hangars with an older painter that had galvanized corrigated sheets used as siding. We wiped them with vinegar first and folled up with a specific metal primer. Years later, they still look good with no adhesion priblems. Needless to say, everytime i smell Itilian dressing, I remember the job.

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
Please read the link I put up though. The age and condition of the galvanized steel makes a big difference in the prep process for it. If it's sat for two years exposed and has formed the "zinc petina" which looks like a white dusting over the whole surface, there is no need to do anything but wash it with warm water. The zinc forms an etched surface that gives great paint adhesion and should NOT be cleaned up..

·
Super Moderator
24,220 Posts
Got to be the record for the oldest resurrected post....:whistling:laughing:

·
http://penncoatinc.com/
91 Posts
I might be a little late the party, but you'll need to use an acrylic primer on galvanized metal. Galvanized metal typically has an oil coating, which helps it retain its performance during harsh weather conditions. However, it makes it difficult to adhere paint to its surface. Check out our blog post for more detailed information:
http://penncoatinc.com/blog/penncoat-inc-adhesion-failure-series-galvanized-metal/

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
I might be a little late the party, but you'll need to use an acrylic primer on galvanized metal. Galvanized metal typically has an oil coating, which helps it retain its performance during harsh weather conditions. However, it makes it difficult to adhere paint to its surface. Check out our blog post for more detailed information:
http://penncoatinc.com/blog/penncoat-inc-adhesion-failure-series-galvanized-metal/
Not late at all...Thread is so old theyre probably ready to re-start the painting process all over again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts